Everything here is at least 3,000 words long, but worth your time.
March 31, 2017
- Jose De Cordoba, “The Buried Train and the French Teacher’s Daughter: A Cuban Exile’s Search for Home” (The Wall Street Journal, March 31, 2017).
Traveling back through his family’s history, a reporter struggles with whether to return to the land of his birth, now that the Communist government wants to reclaim those who left
- Kimberly Heinle, Octavio Rodriguez Ferreira, David A. Shirk, “Drug Violence in Mexico: Data and Analysis Through 2016” (Justice in Mexico, University of San Diego, March 31, 2017).
Tensions between the two countries could undermine the close law enforcement and security cooperation achieved under the administrations of presidents George W. Bush (2000-2008) and Barack Obama (2008-2016)
March 30, 2017
- Leon Krauze, “Los Porkys: The Sexual-Assault Case That’s Shaking Mexico” (The New Yorker, March 30, 2017).
Mexico has a deeply flawed judicial system, and its flaws become most apparent when cases are brought against the powerful and the wealthy
March 20, 2017
- Maria Clara Calle, “Coca: Un Negocio Familiar Que Marca a la Mujer” (Verdad Abierta (Colombia), March 20, 2017).
Plantaciones extensivas de esta mata, la guerra y la violencia sexual han pasado por Putumayo con más que sangre para las organizaciones femeninas
- Francisco Goldman, “The Story Behind the Fire That Killed Forty Teen-Age Girls in a Guatemalan Children’s Home” (The New Yorker, March 20, 2017).
In the wake of the fire, the revelation that the Secretariat for Social Welfare had failed to respond to these orders led to widespread criticism of the department, and of Guatemala’s President
March 15, 2017
- Irina Cuesta, Andres Cajiao, Eduardo Alvarez Vanegas, “Siete Regiones Sin las Farc, ¿Siete Problemas Mas?” (Fundacion Ideas por la Paz (Colombia), March 15, 2017).
Chocó, Tumaco, Cauca, Buenaventura, el Bajo Cauca antioqueño, el eje Llanos Orientales-Orinoquia y Catatumbo se enfrentan a diversos tipos de violencias tras la salida de las FARC
- Secretary General Luis Almagro, “Secretary General Presents Updated Report on Venezuela to the Permanent Council” (Organization of American States, March 15, 2017).
The facts have become clear. Venezuela is in violation of every article in the Inter-American Democratic Charter
March 10, 2017
- Jeremy Schwartz, “Living in No Man’s Land” (The Austin American-Statesman, March 10, 2017).
Unlike many parts of Arizona, New Mexico and California, where the border is an unseen straight line on the desert floor, the natural barrier of the Rio Grande made wall-building a frustrating experience
Chile, Western Hemisphere Regional
- Michael Smith, Jonathan Franklin, “How to Become an International Gold Smuggler” (Bloomberg, March 10, 2017).
*Harold Vilches, a 23-year-old Chilean, exported $80 million in contraband gold. It all started with a Google search
March 3, 2017
- Brian Winter, “Revisiting Brazil’s 2013 Protests: What Did They Really Mean?” (Americas Quarterly, March 3, 2017).
The so-called “Tropical Spring” erupted, grabbed the attention of the world – and then disappeared (Or did it?). An in-depth look, nearly four years on
March 1, 2017
- William Atkins, “Life and Death on the Mexican Border” (The Guardian (Uk), March 1, 2017).
Most of those who attempt to climb the wall into the US will be arrested and sent back. If they survive, they will keep trying