- Anthony Boadle, “Analysis: Brazil Military No Obstacle to Third Lula Term, Say Ex-Generals, Analysts” (Reuters, Reuters, February 1, 2022).
An optimistic take on whether Brazil’s military will go along with Lula replacing Bolsonaro after this year’s elections.
- Fabian Cambero, “Chile Anti-Migrant Protesters Destroy Camps in Tense North” (Reuters, Reuters, February 1, 2022).
The protests in northern Chile against mostly Venezuelan migrants are really ugly.
- Priscilla Alvarez, “Us Begins Quietly Flying Venezuelan Migrants to Colombia Under Controversial Border Policy” (CNN, February 1, 2022).
Like the title says: there appears to be a “Remain in Colombia” program in the works, except without any U.S. asylum paperwork. Venezuelans with any migratory status in Colombia just get sent back to Colombia.
- Ken Klippenstein, “Fearing Corruption Charges, Honduran Defense Minister Requests Asylum From Biden” (The Intercept, February 1, 2022).
“Honduras’s defense minister quietly requested asylum from the U.S. government after the country elected a new leader in November, The Intercept has learned.”
- M.ª de los Angeles Ramirez, M.ª Antonieta Segovia, Joseph Poliszuk, “La Mineria Ilegal Monto Sus Bases Aereas en la Selva” (armando.info, February 1, 2022).
An AI-assisted analysis of satellite images finds 3,718 “points of mining activity” devastating the until-recently pristine environment of southern Venezuela.