- Juan Arias, “Bolsonaro Is Making Brazil Kneel Before Putin” (El Pais (Spain), February 14, 2022).
I get it, “neo-nationalist international solidarity” or whatever. But still, with an invasion of Ukraine looking likely, what a strange time to go and have your picture taken with Putin.
- Javier AlexÁnder MacÍas, “Con Aeronaves Rusas, Disidencias y Eln Pelean en la Frontera” (El Colombiano (Medellin Colombia), February 14, 2022).
Colombian guerrillas using armed, foreign-made drones to fight each other on the Venezuelan side of the border? I haven’t heard of this before, but the reporter has a credible record and he gets some testimonies.
- Ignacio Gomez, ““Esta Es la Puta Guerra”: General Reconoce Alianza Con Narcotraficantes para Enfrentar Disidencias de las Farc” (Noticias Uno y Cambio, Cambio (Colombia), February 14, 2022).
The commander of the Colombian Army’s sixth division, in the country’s far south, is caught on tape talking about allying with a narco-gang to fight ex-FARC dissidents.
- Jared Olson, “‘It Was a Celebration’: Top Court Frees Honduras Water Defenders” (Al Jazeera, February 14, 2022).
Very happy for the Guapinol environmental activists in Mocoa, Honduras, and for all those who worked to get them freed.
- Nick Miroff, “As Lethal Fentanyl Flows Across Mexico Border, Cbp Tries Powerful Scanning Technology” (The Washington Post, February 14, 2022).
Fentanyl is very small in volume, it’s remarkable that they detect the little that they manage to find as it passes in vehicles through border ports of entry. “Congress has directed CBP to come up with a plan to scan 100 percent of arriving vehicles.”