Western Hemisphere Regional
- Sen. Bob Menendez (D-New Jersey), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida), “Menendez, Rubio Introduce Bill to Enhance U.S. Engagement in Our Region” (U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, February 8, 2022).
Here’s a bipartisan bill that proposes to address threats of the past (cold war, drug war) using a “part of government” (security forces only) approach. Pass.
- Sulay Garcia, “Se Agrava Desplazamiento Forzado de Venezolanos en la Frontera de Apure Con el Departamento de Vichada de Colombia” (Crónica Uno, El Carabobeño (Venezuela), February 8, 2022).
Fighting between guerrillas and ex-FARC dissidents is also displacing people, mostly indigenous communities, far east of Arauca, Colombia, in until-recently pristine jungles and savannahs.
- Jake Johnston, ““They Fooled Us”” (Center for Economic and Policy Research, February 8, 2022).
Really interesting investigation. It’s long and I haven’t finished it yet. “Seven months after the assassination of Haiti’s president, the true masterminds remain unknown. But a failed “coup” plot that preceded it provides new information about those involved — and what the US and Haitian governments may have known.”
- Joshua Goodman, “Ex-Honduran Leader Placed on Us List of Corrupt Officials” (Associated Press, Associated Press, February 8, 2022).
Turns out Juan Orlando Hernández was corrupt all along. Surprise!
- Davis Winkie, “Another Texas Soldier on Border Dies in Accidental Shooting” (Army Times, February 8, 2022).
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s (R) deployment of National Guard troops to the border is wasteful and dangerous for civil-military relations, and should make me mad. But lately it just makes me really sad for the people who’ve been forced to participate in it.