Western Hemisphere Regional
- Michael Deibert, “In Latin America, Backers of Leftist Dictatorships Look the Other Way” (**, January 12, 2022).
Points to people on the left in the U.S. and Europe who still defend the rights-violating regimes in Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela because they’re supposedly “left.”
- Natasha Niebieskikwiat, “Quien Es Mohsen Rezai, el Acusado del Atentado a la Amia Que Estuvo en la Re Asuncion de Daniel Ortega en Nicaragua” (Clarin (Argentina), January 12, 2022).
A really creepy Iranian official was present at Daniel Ortega’s re-inauguration in Managua.
- Gabriela Caceres, “Fiscalia Allana Oficinas de Fiscales Que Realizaron la Investigacion Catedral” (El Faro (El Salvador), January 12, 2022).
With judicial independence all but destroyed in El Salvador, prosecutors who’ve investigated the Bukele government’s negotiations with gangs and other corruption allegations are now being harassed and persecuted.
- “Catalogan Como un Final Patetico y un Refugio la Asistencia de Joh a Toma de Daniel Ortega” (Criterio (Honduras), January 12, 2022).
Another attendee at the charming gathering in Managua that saw Daniel Ortega re-inaugurated: outgoing Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández. One of only three Latin American leaders to attend. Perhaps (like former Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes) he’s planning a move to Nicaragua to escape justice.
- Sandra Sanchez, “‘We’re Building a Wall’: Environmentalists Dismayed as Construction Continues on South Texas Border Levees” (Border Report, January 12, 2022).
Is the Biden administration building levee or border wall in south Texas? It’s both, but it’s definitely border wall.