Western Hemisphere Regional
- Steven Dudley, Matthew Taylor, “Criminal Networks in the Americas” (SSRN, January 18, 2022).
The first of two academic articles here about the nature of organized crime in the Americas, including how much of a political actor it is.
- Reynell Badillo, Victor M. Mijares, “Politicised Crime: Causes for the Discursive Politicisation of Organised Crime in Latin America” (Taylor and Francis, January 18, 2022).
The second of two academic articles here about the nature of organized crime in the Americas, including how much of a political actor it is.
- “Ex-Farc de Arauca Lanzan Alerta por Riesgo en Medio de Confrontaciones” (El Tiempo (Colombia), January 18, 2022).
Demobilized FARC fighters who want to leave the conflict behind are having a hard time of it amid an eruption of inter-group violence in Colombia’s northeastern department of Arauca.
- Cesar Perez, Andrea Dominguez, “Migrantes Que Intentan Llegar a Ee. Uu. Denuncian Que Agentes de la Pnc Les Exigen Dinero para No Retornarlos a la Frontera” (Prensa Libre (Guatemala), January 18, 2022).
In Guatemala, police demand Venezuelan migrants pay them to avoid getting sent back across the border into Honduras. When the migrants say they have no money, the cops search their handbags and wallets to make sure.
- “Ortega Premia al Ejercito al Iniciar el Ano y Le Transfiere Casi 200 Manzanas de Tierra” (Nicaragua Investiga, January 18, 2022).
Daniel Ortega starts off the year by giving away large landholdings to the armed forces, presumably cementing in their loyalty to his regime.
- “Protection Denied: New Irc Report Calls for Immediate Policy Change at the Us-Mexico Border” (International Rescue Committee, January 18, 2022).
“One year into the Biden administration, some of the most severe Trump-era policies that have decimated access to asylum—commonly known as ‘Title 42’ and ‘Remain in Mexico’— remain in force.”