- “63 Members of U.S. Congress Urge the Biden-Harris Administration to Prioritize Democracy, Human Rights, and Environmental Protection in Brazil” (Washington Office on Latin America, October 15, 2021).
The representatives requested that the Biden administration undertake an urgent review of U.S.-Brazil relations
- Nathaniel Janowitz, “Chile Is Sending Troops to Crack Down on an Indigenous Tribe and Create ‘Peace’” (VICE, October 15, 2021).
The Indigenous Mapuche say they are only fighting for their ancestral lands which have been taken over by wealthy landowners and logging companies
- “Cucuta, Cercada por el Eln, las Disidencias de las Farc y el Clan del Golfo” (El Espectador (Colombia), October 15, 2021).
Ataques a la población civil, a la Fuerza Pública e incluso al presidente Duque evidencian el recrudecimiento de la violencia en Norte de Santander
Colombia, Panama, U.S.-Mexico Border
- Miguel Macias, Amy Isackson, Ailsa Chang, “How Social Media Has Changed Migration to the United States” (All Things Considered, National Public Radio, October 15, 2021).
For migrants traveling north to the U.S-Mexico border from countries like Chile and Brazil, the trip has become virtually impossible without two things — a smuggler and social media
Mexico, U.S.-Mexico Border
- Nick Miroff, “Biden Administration Says It’s Ready to Restore ‘Remain in Mexico’ Along Border Next Month” (The Washington Post, October 15, 2021).
Federal courts have ordered the administration to restart the Trump-era policy that sent at least 60,000 back to Mexico