Western Hemisphere Regional
- Andrew Selee, “On Migration, Will the Americas Succeed Where Europe Could Not?” (Migration Policy Institute, The New York Times, October 28, 2021).
The U.S. should move from a border policy approach to a truly regional and collaborative plan of action
- “Guillermo Lasso Vuelve a Llamar al Dialogo y Dice Que la Fuerza Publica Mantendra el Control Si el ‘Desafio’ Persiste, al Referirse a las Manifestaciones” (El Universo (Ecuador), October 28, 2021).
El mandatario ratifica la creación de la Unidad de Defensa Legal de la Fuerza Pública y dice que personalmente acompañará a los uniformados a los tribunales
- Alberto Arce , Rodrigo Abd, “In Haiti, the Difficult Relationship of Gangs and Business” (Associated Press, Associated Press, October 28, 2021).
Barbecue fancies himself a man of the people and an enemy of the elite. He speaks blithely of a possible civil war of the poor against the rich and powerful “foreign” families who own Haiti
- Ryan Devereaux, “High-Stakes Prosecution of U.S.-Backed Mexican Drug War Commander Set for Trial” (The Intercept, October 28, 2021).
The development in Genaro García Luna’s case in New York comes amid rising concerns over DEA operations abroad
- Kate Morrissey, “Border Patrol Has a ‘Shadow Police Unit’ That Protects Agents When They Kill, Groups Say” (The San Diego Union-Tribune, October 28, 2021).
Revelations about these units came through human rights attorneys investigating the 2010 killing of Anastasio Hernández Rojas at the San Ysidro Port of Entry