- Brian Winter, “The Silent Partner” (Piaui (Brazil), September 3, 2021).
A massive debate continues to bubble inside the US government, as well as in academic and policy circles, over whether any short-term gain from engaging with Bolsonaro, even with the two presidents at arm’s length, is worth the possible long-term damage doing so might cause to Washington’s reputation
- Daniela Diaz, Joshua Collins, “Colombian Police Kidnapped and Tortured Protesters at Secret ‘Black Sites,’ Victims Say” (VICE, September 3, 2021).
“I was having problems focusing, I was so disoriented from the beatings,” he said. “But I could hear screams coming from other rooms—the sounds of other people being beaten too”
- Juan Zamorano, “Panama, Colombia Agree to Limit of 650 Migrants Per Day” (Associated Press, Border Report, September 3, 2021).
An estimated 15,000 migrants are currently en route through Colombia heading for Panama
- Alberto Pradilla, “Detenciones, Enfrentamientos y Redadas: La Caza de Migrantes Que Ocurre en Chiapas” (Animal Politico (Mexico), September 3, 2021).
Por tercera ocasión, la caravana de migrantes fue interceptada por un operativo del INM y la Guardia Nacional. Autoridades han negado información sobre el saldo de heridos y detenidos
- Kate Morrissey, “Judge Finds U.S. Border Officials Unlawfully Turned Asylum Seekers Away From Ports of Entry” (The San Diego Union-Tribune, September 3, 2021).
Bashant has not yet decided what she will order as a remedy in the four-year-old class-action case. She asked both sides to submit additional briefings on the subject by October 1