Hours after Wednesday’s White House announcement of a big military deployment to Latin America, ostensibly to stop drugs, I got together (virtually) with Geoff Ramsey and David Smilde from WOLA’s Venezuela program. We came up with a list of questions, then started typing what we know, and what we need to know, into a Google Doc.
The result is a memo where we come up with some fact-filled, and pretty skeptical, answers to the following questions. Read the memo here. It’s a good read, I promise.
- Is President Trump’s announcement of new deployments actually “new?”
- Is this tied to the coronavirus outbreak?
- Is this deployment linked to Venezuela’s crisis?
- How important is Venezuela to the transnational drug trade?
- How have other countries reacted to the news of the U.S. deployment?
- How is geopolitics involved?
- Is the U.S. government preparing for an invasion like in Panama 1989?
- What are the risks associated with this policy?