Western Hemisphere Regional
- David Yaffe-Bellany, Jay Root, Juan Luis Garcia Hernandez, “Asylum-Seekers Say They Cross the Border Illegally Because They Don’t Think They Have Other Options” (The Texas Tribune, August 17, 2018).
Crossing the Rio Grande has had certain procedural advantages. Immigrants who enter the country illegally are generally eligible to be released on bond, while those who present themselves at the bridges stay in detention
- Jacqueline Charles, Jay Weaver, “How the Dea Let One of Haiti’s Biggest Drug Busts Slip Through Its Fingers” (The Miami Herald, August 17, 2018).
The bungling of the investigation in Haiti didn’t even come to light until two veteran DEA agents filed whistleblower complaints that have triggered a U.S. Justice Department investigation into the effectiveness of the DEA’s drug-fighting efforts
- Marcela Turati, “El “No al Perdon” se Extiende en los Foros por la Paz” (Proceso (Mexico), August 16, 2018).
Las madres agraviadas manifiestan su desconcierto sobre el tema de la amnistía y el perdón a los criminales. Así lo expresaron en los dos primeros foros realizados la semana pasada
- James Fredrick, “Mexico’s New President Has a Radical Plan to End the Drug War” (Vox, August 15, 2018).
AMLO and his advisers have proposed sending drug war-fighting soldiers back to their barracks, pardoning nonviolent drug offenders, and boosting social programs
- Ana Leon, “El Proceso Con el Eln Quedo Secuestrado” (La Silla Vacia (Colombia), August 13, 2018).
La principal es es cómo armar los protocolos del mecanismo de verificación y veeduría del cese