Western Hemisphere Regional
- Caitlin Dickerson, “Migrant Children Moved Under Cover of Darkness to a Texas Tent City” (The New York Times, October 1, 2018).
Originally opened in June for 30 days with a capacity of 400, it expanded in September to be able to house 3,800, and is now expected to remain open at least through the end of the year
- “Las Garantias de Seguridad: Una Mirada Desde Lo Local” (Fundacion Ideas por la Paz (Colombia), October 4, 2018).
En las zonas analizadas, los frágiles equilibrios y acuerdos entre las facciones ilegales se han roto y se han renovado procesos de disputa
- Mimi Whitefield, “Why No One Can Agree on What Really Happened to the U.S. Diplomats in Havana” (The Miami Herald, October 2, 2018).
“This episode has gotten way out of hand with wild speculation and competing theories from specialists”
- Cora Currier, Danielle Mackey, “El Salvador Is Trying to Stop Gang Violence. But the Trump Administration Keeps Pushing Failed “Iron Fist” Policing.” (The Intercept, October 2, 2018).
By pushing policies like these, the U.S. is fueling violence on one hand, while trying to solve it with the other through tertiary prevention
- Elisabeth Malkin, “50 Years After a Student Massacre, Mexico Reflects on Democracy” (The New York Times, October 2, 2018).
What was clear after the violence of that night was that Mexico’s government was willing to go to extreme lengths to maintain control