- Danielle Mackey, “What Happens When a Barrio 18 Soldier Tries to Leave the Gang” (The Intercept, November 16, 2018).
There are an estimated 60,000 gang members in El Salvador. Benjamin knew many who wanted to leave, but they were afraid. He wanted to show them they could
- Ernesto Londono, “As Brazil’s Far Right Leader Threatens the Amazon, One Tribe Pushes Back” (The New York Times, November 12, 2018).
The Times traveled hundreds of miles into the Brazilian Amazon, staying with a tribe in the Munduruku Indigenous Territory as it struggled with the shrinking rain forest
- Adam Entous, Jon Lee Anderson, “The Mystery of the Havana Syndrome” (The New Yorker, November 12, 2018).
After the State Department’s presence was diminished, what remained of the C.I.A. station was closed down, on Pompeo’s orders
- Alejandra Guillen, Mago Torres, Marcela Turati, “El Pais de las 2 Mil Fosas” (A Donde Van los Desaparecidos (Mexico), November 12, 2018).
En México 37 mil 485 personas están reportadas como desaparecidas entre diciembre de 2006 y octubre pasado, según los registros oficiales. Se desconoce cuántas de ellas están en fosas
- Carlos Perez Osorio, Sarah Kinosian, “How Nicaragua Uses Anti-Terror Laws Against Protesters to Suppress Dissent” (The Intercept, November 12, 2018).
Many of those arrested will be tried as terrorists, thanks to a law passed by the Ortega-controlled Congress in July that expanded the definition of terrorism to include a broad range of crimes