January 13, 2023
– Fernando Fuentes, ““se Queda, Confio en el”: Lula Confirma a su Ministro de Defensa en Medio de Tension Con ff.aa. Por Ataque en Brasilia” (La Tercera (Chile), January 13, 2023).
Brazil’s Defense Minister’s job is safe in the wake of the January 8 riot
Central America Regional
– “Bajan Homicidios Violentos en Centroamerica Durante 2022” (Agence France Presse, Milenio (Mexico), January 13, 2023).
Homicides declined in El Salvador and Panama, but increased in Costa Rica and Guatemala. Nicaragua has no verifiable data
El Salvador, Guatemala
– Raul Barreno Castillo, “En Guatemala Detienen a Lider de Banda Salvadorena los Quijada, Que Controlaba Parte del Narcotrafico Hacia Mexico” (Prensa Libre (Guatemala), January 13, 2023).
An arrest offers a rare look at Salvadoran and Guatemalan narcotrafficking groups (not gangs)
– “Estado de Excepcion en Honduras Todavia No Reduce la Extorsion” (Expediente Publico (Honduras), January 13, 2023).
After more than a month, Honduras’s anti-crime state of emergency doesn’t appear to be reducing crime
– Maria Verza, Mark Stevenson, “National Guard Sent to Mexico City Subway on Sabotage Worry” (Associated Press, Associated Press, January 13, 2023).
“The Miguel Agustín Pro Juárez human rights center said the announcement ‘is concerning, because it is obvious that this agency reproduces the military’s problems with a lack of transparency and excessive use of force.'”
– Rafael Lopez Mendez, “Camara de Representantes de Eu Sera Antimexicana en 2023: Ebrard” (Milenio (Mexico), January 13, 2023).
Mexico’s foreign minister foresees a lot of Mexico-bashing coming from the new GOP House majority
– Elliot Spagat, “Us Launches Online System to Seek Asylum on Mexican Border” (Associated Press, Associated Press, January 13, 2023).
The “CBP One” app is now the main channel for asylum seekers to obtain Title 42 exemptions