January 19, 2023
- Ana Ionova, “Did Brazil’s Armed Forces Halt – or Help – Capital Rioters?” (The Christian Science Monitor, January 19, 2023).
“Authorities now say the Army was complacent or even complicit in the attacks, turning a blind eye as rioters plotted in camps outside military headquarters”
- Ana Leon, “El Gobierno Le Pidio en Secreto a las Guerrillas Desincentivar la Coca” (La Silla Vacia (Colombia), January 19, 2023).
Early on in talks with armed groups, Petro government representatives have asked them to “disincentivize” coca cultivation
- Gloria Castrillon Pulido, “Este Es el Acuerdo de Cese al Fuego Entre Gobierno y “Farc Ep”, de Ivan Mordisco” (El Espectador (Colombia), January 19, 2023).
Overview of the nine-page ceasefire agreement, with a verification mechanism, between the government and the largest ex-FARC dissident network
- Jose Luis Sanz, Roman Gressier, “Guatemala, Colombia in Diplomatic Crisis Over Retaliation Against Ex-Cicig Commissioner” (El Faro (El Salvador), January 19, 2023).
“”Most of the Republicans who are giving a free pass to Guatemala,’ added the staffer, ‘never knew Iván Velásquez'”
- Karen Ortiz H, “Palmieri: “Ivan Velasquez Fue Gran Amigo y Aliado Contra la Corrupcion en Guatemala”” (Caracol (Colombia), January 19, 2023).
The acting U.S. ambassador voices support for Colombia’s defense minister in the face of a corrupt Guatemalan prosecutorial investigation
- “Eeuu Devuelve a 991 Balseros de Cuba y Haiti en 10 Dias” (Voz de América, Nicaragua Investiga, January 19, 2023).
A very large number of rafters returned to Cuba and Haiti
- Sharon Ardon, “16 Asesinatos en 15 Dias. Ser Mujer en Honduras, Equivale a Vivir Bajo el Terror” (Expediente Publico (Honduras), January 19, 2023).
Honduras’s wave of femicides is worsening as the new year begins
- Jose Olivares, “Mexico’s Former Top Cop Is on Trial in New York. Will the U.S. Be Implicated?” (The Intercept, January 19, 2023).
We may learn a lot about the drug war from the García Luna trial. Cites WOLA
- Albinson Linares, “Venezuelans Describe Dangers and Desperation Amid U.S. Asylum Changes” (Noticias Telemundo, NBC News, January 19, 2023).
About 2,060 Venezuelan migrants blocked by Title 42 expansion have given up and gone home. But in Mexico, most have no intention of doing that
- “International Protection Considerations With Regard to People Fleeing Nicaragua” (UNHCR, Refworld, January 19, 2023).
“UNHCR considers that the situation prevailing in Nicaragua may be characterized as a massive violation of human rights”
- “Border Militias Use Facebook to Spread Migrant Conspiracies” (Tech Transparency Project, January 19, 2023).
“Border militia and vigilante groups have a long history of targeting migrants in the U.S. But Facebook is giving them an unprecedented platform to coordinate their activities—and amplify misinformation and conspiracy theories about migrants”
- “Comer Announces Hearing on Biden’s Border Crisis” (Committee on Oversight and Reform, U.S. House of Representatives, January 19, 2023).
Includes a link to a letter to DHS Secretary Mayorkas asking for lots of information
- Stef W. Kight, “House Oversight Launches Border Investigation To “Hold the Biden Administration Accountable”” (Axios, January 19, 2023).
The first border hearing in the Republican House will take place the week of February 6