January 24, 2023
Argentina, Brazil, Western Hemisphere Regional
- Oliver Stuenkel, “At Celac Summit, Left-Wing Leaders May Not Find Agreement” (Getulio Vargas Foundation, Americas Quarterly, January 24, 2023).
Moderate left and far-left governments are unlikely to find much unity at the CELAC summit
- Anthony Boadle, “Lula Confronts Brazil Military’s Pro-Bolsonaro Lean With Carrot and Stick” (Reuters, Reuters, January 24, 2023).
It’s often hard for a leftist elected leader to coexist with its military, where officers are usually very conservative. In Brazil post-Bolsonaro and post-January 8, it’s even harder
- Helena Uran Bidegain, “La Dignidad de la Fuerza Publica en la Jep” (Revista Cambio (Colombia), January 24, 2023).
The columnist, who lost her father in the 1985 Palace of Justice operation, calls out the “cynicism” of the general who led that operation, who recently testified in Colombia’s post-conflict transitional justice tribunal
- Maria Isabel Ortiz Fonnegra, “Comunidades de Ocho Zonas Con Narcocultivos Participaran en Politica de Drogas” (El Tiempo (Colombia), January 24, 2023).
“Territorial Consultative Spaces” would enable dialogue on drug policy between government and coca cultivating communities
- Santiago Carmona Caraballo, “Refugio para Desplazados, el Pedido de la Caravana Humanitaria en el Pacifico” (El Tiempo (Colombia), January 24, 2023).
A delegation of government and ELN representatives to southern Chocó and northern Valle del Cauca hears calls for immediate humanitarian relief
- Pamela Palacios, “Dina Boluarte: De la Izquierda Radical a la Colusion Con la Derecha y las Fuerzas Armadas” (La Republica (Peru), January 24, 2023).
“According to analysts, the president has not had the political intelligence to capitalize on the electorate that voted for Castillo, and instead made a drastic shift to the right that supports her decision to repress”
- Uriel J. Garcia, “In a Border Graveyard, Volunteers Exhume Migrants’ Bodies and Search for Their Families” (The Texas Tribune, January 24, 2023).
Deceased migrants in rural mid-Texas are being thrown into mass graves without attempting to identify them. Students have done some exhumations. Cites WOLA
- Suzanne Monyak, “House Border Security Bill Bumped Amid Republican Concerns” (Roll Call, January 24, 2023).
Not all House Republicans, it turns out, want to do away with asylum