January 4, 2023
– Alex Cuadros, “Has the Amazon Reached Its ‘Tipping Point’?” (The New York Times, January 4, 2023).
It’s possible that Amazon deforestation has passed its point of no return, according to this in-depth report
– Jhordan C. Rodriguez, Laura Duarte Sandoval, “Paz Con el Eln: Lo Que Viene Tras la Salida en Falso de Petro Sobre Cese al Fuego” (El Espectador (Colombia), January 4, 2023).
There is no ELN ceasefire. And the negotiators should meet soon to clear this up
– “Estas Son las Reglas de Juego para Cese al Fuego Bilateral: Asi Son los Decretos” (El Espectador (Colombia), January 4, 2023).
Decrees with every armed group except the ELN lay out ceasefire terms
– Luke Taylor, “Colombia’s Eln Guerrilla Group Denies Agreeing to National Ceasefire” (The Guardian (Uk), January 4, 2023).
English overview of the ELN non-ceasefire situation
– Gloria Castrillon Pulido, ““No Hay Crisis Con el Eln”: Otty Patino” (El Espectador (Colombia), January 4, 2023).
Interview with chief government negotiator with the ELN: “Why did the president make the announcement like this?” “Petro is Petro and he is the president”
– “La Desmentida del Eln Sume al Gobierno en su Primera Gran Crisis” (Revista Cambio (Colombia), January 4, 2023).
The government’s reaction appears confused after the ELN denies that negotiators reached any ceasefire agreement
– “Detalles Intimos de un Cese al Fuego Improvisado” (Revista Cambio (Colombia), January 4, 2023).
“Improvised” sure seems to be the right word to describe Colombia’s new year ceasefire saga
– “A 26 Anos de los Acuerdos de Paz en Guatemala: Un Recuento de Lo Arrebatado” (Prensa Comunitaria, Desinformemonos, January 4, 2023).
26 years after a peace accord that was not honored, “there’s little left to recover”
– Marcia Perdomo, “En Impunidad Permanece Caso de Misquitos Abatidos por las Ff. Aa. En Ibans, Gracias a Dios” (Criterio (Honduras), January 4, 2023).
The justice system has made almost no progress holding accountable military personnel who, apparently in pursuit of drug traffickers, attacked an Indigenous community in eastern Honduras
– Luis Chaparro, “Ciudad Juarez Is on Lockdown During Gang Leader Killed 10 Guards After Prison Break” (VICE, January 4, 2023).
English coverage of the violent beginning to the new year in Ciudad Juárez
– Ángel Páez, “Renuncio Polemico Jefe de la Dini, Juan Carlos Liendo” (La Republica (Peru), January 4, 2023).
Peru’s intelligence chief is out after calling protesters a “terrorist insurgency”