June 9, 2022
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Elliot Spagat, Chris Megerian, “Biden Lauds Democratic Unity Despite No-Shows at Summit” (Associated Press, Associated Press, June 9, 2022).
The “Los Angeles Declaration,” to be announced while Biden meets with his counterparts from North, Central and South America, is a brief call to action that supporters hope will guide countries on one of the most pressing issues surrounding migration — hosting people fleeing violence and persecution
- Ibis Leon, “En la Cumbre de las Americas “el Enfoque Es de Control Migratorio a Costa de los Ddhh”” (Efecto Cocuyo (Venezuela), June 9, 2022).
Defesnores de derechos humanos advierten que el enfoque migratorio de los países que integran la Cumbre de las Américas no privilegia los DDHH
- Mauricio Savarese, Fabiano Maisonnave, “Explainer: Crime, Impunity Surge in Amazon’s Javari Valley” (Associated Press, Associated Press, June 9, 2022).
Crime there is rife and government oversight scant, adding to fears about the duo’s whereabouts and condition
- Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Arizona), “Reps. Grijalva and Wild Urge President Biden to Address Attacks on Democracy, Human Rights, and Environment With Brazilian President Bolsonaro” (U.S. House of Representatives, June 9, 2022).
Since President Bolsonaro took office, however, we have seen Brazil led down a path more reminiscent of its authoritarian past than the proud, vibrant democracy the Brazilian people built from the ashes of its military dictatorship
- “Biden to Raise Free Elections With Brazil’s Pro-Trump Leader” (Agence France Presse, France24 (France), June 9, 2022).
Joe Biden is preparing for an awkward first meeting with Brazil’s far-right leader, who has raised doubts not only about his own country’s voting but about the legitimacy of the US president’s election
Brazil, Colombia, Paraguay, Venezuela
- Fernando Fuentes, “Primer Comando Capital y Tren de Aragua: Los Grupos Criminales Que Estarian Detras del Asesinato de Fiscal Paraguayo en Colombia” (La Tercera (Chile), June 9, 2022).
Segun la policia colombiana, el PCC de Brasil, uno de los grupos mafiosos mas poderosos de Sudameica, coordino el homicidio de Marcelo Pecci
- “Asesinan a Jesusita Moreno, Dona Tuta, Lider Social del Rio San Juan en Choco” (El Espectador (Colombia), June 9, 2022).
Durante los últimos meses había estado al frente del espacio humanitario en esa zona para proteger a los pobladores del recrudecimiento de la guerra en la región
- “Estos Son los Principales Puntos de la Nueva Ley de Uso Legitimo de la Fuerza” (El Universo (Ecuador), June 9, 2022).
La norma, de 74 artículos, regulará a las servidoras y servidores de la Policía Nacional, Fuerzas Armadas y del Cuerpo de Seguridad y Vigilancia Penitenciaria
- Natalia Alberto, “Un Huracan de Detenciones Arrasa Con el Bajo Lempa” (Revista Factum (El Salvador), June 9, 2022).
Sus familiares señalan que sus capturas son ilegales. Por eso presentaron un recurso de habeas corpus ante la Sala de lo Constitucional. Hasta ahora se registran 51 denuncias de capturas arbitrarias en la zona
- Tom Phillips, “‘It’s a War on the People’: El Salvador’s Mass Arrests Send Thousands Into Despair” (The Guardian (Uk), June 9, 2022).
At least 38,000 people have been arrested under Nayib Bukele’s draconic state of exemption
- “Editorial: Territorios Sin Estado Llevan a Crisis Repetidas” (Prensa Libre (Guatemala), June 9, 2022).
- Anna Giaritelli, “Migrant Caravan Shrinks Amid Rumor Mexico Will Issue Residency Visas” (The Washington Examiner, June 9, 2022).
The Mexican government will attempt to quell a massive caravan of migrants traveling through the country to the United States’s southern border with the issuance of 1,000 humanitarian visas
- Juan Manuel Blanco, “Mexico Issues Transit Visas to Migrants in Us-Bound Caravan” (EFE, La Prensa Latina, June 9, 2022).
The INM, which has been criticized for its sometimes brutal treatment of migrants, announced that it was ready to provide the participants in the caravan with transit permits
- “Mexico: Organized Crime and Drug Trafficking Organizations” (Congressional Research Service, June 9, 2022).
Homicide rate increases in Mexico are widely attributed to heightened DTO-related violence, often tied to territorial control over drug routes and criminal influence
- Jose Miguel Sanchez, ““¿Donde Esta la Justicia Que Nos Prometio en Campana?”: Familias de Ayotzinapa Reclaman a Amlo y Exigen Investigar a la Marina” (Amapola Periodismo, Animal Politico (Mexico), June 9, 2022).
Madres y padres de los normalistas desaparecidos y alumnos bloquearon la Autopista del Sol. Reclamaron al gobierno federal por la falta de avances en el caso y exigieron que se indague al Ejército y a la Marina
- Edgar H. Clemente, “Venezuelans Big Presence in Caravan After Visa Requirement” (Associated Press, Associated Press, June 9, 2022).
Venezuelans make up a large proportion of this caravan, the biggest of the year, in contrast to previous ones. A factor appears to be a policy change implemented by Mexico in January requiring Venezuelans to acquire a visa to enter the country
- Ann E. Marimow, “Supreme Court Shields Border Patrol Agent From Excessive-Force Claim” (The Washington Post, June 9, 2022).
Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote that the court had “absolutely immunized from liability” thousands of Border Patrol agents “no matter how egregious the misconduct or resultant injury”
- Ian Millhiser, “The Supreme Court Gives Lawsuit Immunity to Border Patrol Agents Who Violate the Constitution” (Vox, June 9, 2022).
Egbert v. Boule is a severe blow to the proposition that law enforcement must obey the Constitution
- Julia Ainsley, “Amid Border Surge, Biden Admin Plans to Send Migrants to Cities Deeper Inside U.S., Starting With l.a., Say Internal Documents” (NBC News, June 9, 2022).
DHS officials have jokingly referred to the model as the “Abbott plan,” an official said, referring to Texas Gov. Abbott’s decision to bus migrants from Texas to D.C.
- “Civil Society Letter on Immediate Actions to Mitigate the Harms of Title 42” (Numerous organizations, Human Rights First, June 9, 2022).
The undersigned civil society organizations write to urge immediate action to preserve asylum and refugee law at the United States’ borders to the fullest extent, consistent with current court decisions concerning the use of Title 42
- Chris Megerian, Joshua Goodman, “Biden Sidelines Venezuela’s Pro-Democracy Leader From Summit” (Associated Press, Associated Press, June 9, 2022).
In what may be an attempt at damage control, Biden on Wednesday spoke with Guaidó. It was the first time the two leaders have spoken
- Stefano Pozzebon, “Analysis: Did Biden’s Snub to Venezuela Prompt a Last-Minute Trip to Turkey?” (CNN, June 9, 2022).
If you can’t get an invitation to the biggest party in town, act like you’re too busy to care