Colombia’s Constitutional Court met today to discuss the government’s plans to reinstate aerial spraying of coca. President Iván Duque was the first to address the high court; he asked the justices to “modulate” their past rulings to allow more spraying.
I just posted an analysis of this to WOLA’s website. It addresses a series of questions:
- Why did coca cultivation increase so much?
- Is glyphosate dangerous?
- What restrictions did Colombia’s Constitutional Court put in place in 2017?
- What do the peace accords call for?
- What do US officials say?
- Is aerial spraying effective?
- What other options are there?
- How else could we measure success?
- Is crop eradication effective in any form?