September 13, 2017
- “Brazil Police Suspect Temer, Aides Involved in Corruption” (Reuters **, September 13, 2017).
The report could provide additional evidence for a second formal corruption accusation against Temer in as many months
- Shannon Sims, “Meet the Corrupt, Jailed Politician Who Has the Rest of Brazil’s Political Elite Terrified” (The Washington Post, September 13, 2017).
Political scholars say Cunha has so much dirt on so many politicians that virtually all of Brazil’s political power brokers could be doomed
- “Farc: El Paso Atras de Rodrigo Cadete” (Semana (Colombia), September 13, 2017).
La salida del exjefe guerrillero revela la compleja situación que enfrentan los mandos medios que ni fueron jefes máximos, ni tropa rasa
- Diana Durán Núñez, “Fiscal de la Cpi, de Visita por Colombia” (El Espectador (Colombia), September 13, 2017).
La Fiscalía tenía a su cargo 2.760 procesos de ejecuciones extrajudiciales en los que estaban involucrados miembros de la Fuerza Pública, los cuales habían dejado 3.185 víctimas
- “Los Tres Grilletes Que Mantienen en Jaque a los Lideres Sociales” (Verdad Abierta (Colombia), September 13, 2017).
La impunidad, el lado ‘oscuro’ de la inteligencia estatal y la incapacidad de otorgar medidas satisfactorias de protección, conforman la triada que tiene contra las cuerdas a los defensores de derechos humanos
El Salvador, Honduras
- “Bipartisan Group of 116 Lawmakers Call to Extend Temporary Protections for Salvadorans and Hondurans” (Office of Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Massachusetts), U.S. House of Representatives, September 13, 2017).
Democratic and Republican Members of Congress ask Acting Secretary of Homeland Security to renew program due to dire conditions in Honduras and El Salvador
- Sonia Perez D., “Guatemala: Investigan Pago del Ejercito al Presidente” (Associated Press **, September 13, 2017).
Oscar Pérez, Director General de Prensa del Ejército confirmó a periodistas que desde enero de 2017 se entregan mensualmente 50.000 quetzales (unos 6.849 dólares) de “bono extraordinario de responsabilidad” a Morales por ser Comandante General del Ejército
- Sharyl Attkisson, “Americans Support a Border Wall More Than the Media Wants to Believe” (The Hill, September 13, 2017).
President Trump hasn’t always been exacting and consistent in expressing his vision. Yet a lot of confusion is being caused by media reports
- Phil Stewart, “In First, U.S. Defense Chief to Attend Mexican Independence Day Events” (Reuters **, September 13, 2017).
The visit by Mattis also comes amid signs of improving U.S.-Mexican cooperation in cracking down on the heroin trade
- “Mexico’s Failure to Improve Human Rights Record Means U.S. Should Withhold Conditioned Military Aid” (Several NGOs, Washington Office on Latin America, September 13, 2017).
The United States should not release this portion of aid to Mexico, given the country’s lack of progress in meeting the human rights requirements included in the assistance package
- NoÉ Zavaleta, “Con Yunes la Violencia Empeora en Veracruz” (Proceso (Mexico), September 13, 2017).
Un comparativo que hizo Proceso con el primer año de gobierno de los priistas Javier Duarte y Fidel Herrera, revela que el gobierno de Yunes Linares tiene mayores índices delictivos en homicidios, secuestros y robo de autos
- “Us Official: No Venezuela Solution While Trafficking Rampant” (Associated Press **, September 13, 2017).
William Brownfield told the U.S. Senate’s international drug caucus that trafficking organizations in Venezuela have “completely penetrated virtually every security, law enforcement and justice-related institution”
- “Venezuela Prisons: ‘Pranes’ and ‘Revolutionary’ Criminality” (InsightCrime, September 13, 2017).
Faced with this multitude of challenges and limited resources, Varela adopted a new policy to fulfill her mission. She simply befriended the most important pranes and started making deals with them.What they wanted, and got, was power
- Stephanie Nebehay, “Venezuela Supreme Court Has Staged Effective Coup: Jurists’ Group” (Reuters **, September 13, 2017).
The collapse of the judiciary has left victims of torture, killings and disappearances and their families without recourse to justice after months of violent street protests, the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) said
- Fabiola Sanchez , “Venezuela Leaders, Opposition Explore Possibility of Talks” (Associated Press **, September 13, 2017).
The opposition’s main coalition issued a tepid statement warning that no new dialogue had begun, but saying it was sending a delegation after an invitation from the Dominican president
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Dan King, Sam Peak, “Bill Would Put Americans Under 24-Hour Drone Surveillance” (The American Conservative, September 13, 2017).
Not only would these tools endanger the privacy rights of Americans living near the border, but they would do nothing to curb illegal immigration
- Ashley Parker, Ed o’keefe, Kelsey Snell, “White House May Back Off Demand to Pair Border Wall, ‘Dreamer’ Protections, Trump Aide Says” (The Washington Post, September 13, 2017).
The administration does not “want to bind ourselves into a construct that makes reaching a conclusion on DACA impossible.”
- Andrew Restuccia, Seung Min Kim, “Trump Unlikely to Demand Border Wall for Dreamers Bill” (Politico, September 13, 2017).
President Donald Trump is sending public and private signals that he is ready to deal on legislation protecting young undocumented immigrants and won’t demand funding for a border wall
- Brian Winter, “On Corruption, They Still Don’t Get It” (Americas Quarterly, September 13, 2017).
It makes you want to grab them by the shoulders: Don’t you know you can’t do this anymore without getting caught?