October 3, 2017
- Argentina Receives First Four of Twelve T-6c Texan Ii Training Aircraft, “Argentina Receives First Four of Twelve T-6c Texan Ii Training Aircraft” (MercoPress, October 3, 2017).
The four aircraft are part of the 12 units operations plus spares and additional support equipment, which apparently were acquired at a cost of US$ 167 million
- Renata Brito, “Rio’s Kids Are Dying in the Crossfire of a Wave of Violence” (Associated Press **, October 3, 2017).
This city famous for both its glamorous beaches and its sprawling slums is experiencing a wave of violence that’s the worst in a decade
Central America Regional, Dominican Republic
- Julieta Pelcastre, “Dominican Republic Trains Central American Armed Forces” (Revista Dialogo (U.S. Southern Command), October 3, 2017).
Central American service members are given exhaustive instruction on human rights and international humanitarian law
- Charlotte Mitchell, “Colombia: Fragile Peace a Year After Farc Referendum” (Al Jazzeera, October 3, 2017).
A new mother and former FARC fighter, an ex-FARC commander, a peace worker and senator reflect on 2016 peace accord
- Franco Ordonez, “U.S. to Expel Two-Thirds of Cuban Diplomats Amid Sonic Attack Probe” (The Miami Herald, October 3, 2017).
“Cuba is not upholding its commitments of the Vienna convention, of protecting diplomats,” said a U.S. source
- Josh Lederman, Matthew Lee , “Officials: Us to Ask Cuba to Cut Embassy Staff by 60 Percent” (Associated Press **, October 3, 2017).
Tensions between the two neighbors have been escalating amid serious U.S. concern about the unexplained attacks on Americans in Havana
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico
- Oscar Martinez, “Los Que Iban a Morir se Acumulan en Mexico” (El Faro (El Salvador), Univision, October 3, 2017).
El 92 % de las personas que en México aseguran huir de la muerte vienen de tres países: Honduras, El Salvador y Guatemala, en ese orden
- Michael D Mcdonald, “Why Guatemala’s President Isn’t Laughing Anymore” (Bloomberg, October 3, 2017).
He’s so far defeated bids in Congress to strip his immunity from prosecution, but anti-government protests have grown and his support in the legislature has dwindled
- Cindy Espina, “Presidente Nombra a Nuevo Ministro de la Defensa” (ElPeriodico (Guatemala), October 3, 2017).
Desde inicio del gobierno, el mandatario delegó más funciones en la entidad castrense que dirigió Ralda Moreno, las asignaciones fueron desde la construcción de escritorios, hasta la reparación de carreteras
- Erik Anderson, “Work Progressing on Mexico Border Wall Protoypes” (KPBS (Los Angeles), October 3, 2017).
A construction crew used a crane to hoist a 30-foot tall border fence section into place just a few dozen feet north of Mexico
- Richard Parker, “The Military Was Ready in Texas and Florida. What Went Wrong in Puerto Rico?” (Politico, October 3, 2017).
Only Thursday did the Northern Command announce that it was “adjusting” from a small seaborne operation to a larger airlift, emphasizing big cargo planes
- “Venezuela’s Maduro Approval Rises to 23 Percent After Trump Sanctions: Poll” (Reuters **, October 3, 2017).
The rebound followed several rounds of sanctions by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration as well as a sharp drop-off in four months of violent anti-government protests