October 25, 2017
- “Lio Cocalero, Agravado por Tension Entre Campesinos, Afros e Indigenas” (El Tiempo (Colombia), October 25, 2017).
La reubicación de miles de campesinos cocaleros que tienen sus cultivos en territorios indígenas y afrocolombianos
- “¿Que Hay Detras del Asesinato de un Lider Cocalero en Taraza?” (Verdad Abierta (Colombia), October 25, 2017).
Su implementación, en territorios controlados por estructuras de crimen organizado que hoy manejan buena parte de la cadena del narcotráfico, no será nada fácil
- Wil Crisp, “The New Struggle for Colombia’s Countryside After Farc” (Al Jazzeera, October 25, 2017).
The peace deal with the rebel group has left a power vacuum the government is struggling to fill
- Nelson Acosta, Sarah Marsh, “Cuban Investigators Say U.S. Sonic Attack Allegations ‘Science Fiction’” (Reuters **, October 25, 2017).
Cuban investigators denied such weapons could even have been used by third parties without affecting the health of others or attracting attention
- Gladys Olmstead, “Audios: 5 Negocios Entre Byron Lima y Arzu” (Nomada (Guatemala), October 25, 2017).
Se detallan 5 de los negocios que tuvieron la municipalidad, el partido y Lima, exguardia presidencial y uno de los condenados por el asesinato de monseñor Juan Gerardi
- Angela Kocherga, “Rights Advocates Protest Plan to Build Border Wall” (The Albuquerque Journal, October 25, 2017).
A Border Patrol agent in his truck kept a watchful eye on the gathering, and curious children on the Mexican side peeked through the border fence at the people speaking at a small lectern set up in the desert
- Benjamin Hart, “Which Mexican Border-Wall Prototype Is the Worst?” (New York, October 25, 2017).
Below, a brief review of each model, along with the odds that they’ll become a border-spanning reality
- “Us Wants Tougher Efforts to Stop Mexican Heroin, Fentanyl” (Associated Press, ABC News, October 25, 2017).
Mexico had a broad dip in most drug-fighting indicators in 2016, for reasons that aren’t entirely clear
- Michelle Caruso-Cabrera, “Rubio Warns That Venezuela’s Tipping Point Is Coming” (CNBC, October 25, 2017).
The country’s state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA, must pay more than $984 million on Friday
- Ana Vanessa Herrero, Kirk Semple, “Deep Cracks Appear in Venezuela’s Weakened Opposition” (The New York Times, October 25, 2017).
Mr. Capriles’s announcement highlighted the deepest public rift in the alliance since its founding about a decade ago