January 26, 2018
- AntÔnio Werneck, Carina Bacelar, Dayana Resende, Elaine Neves, Gabriela Viana, Gisele Barros, Marta Szpacenkopf, Rayanderson Guerra, “Rocinha Revive Auge de Tensao Com Tiroteios, Onibus Incendiado e Delegacia Sob Ameaca” (O Globo (Brazil), January 26, 2018).
Bandidos atiram em UPP, ameaçam atacar delegacia e incendeiam ônibus na Av. Niemeyer
- Eduardo Bonces, “Farc Denuncia Amenazas Contra Dos de Sus Integrantes en Medellin” (El Colombiano (Medellin Colombia), January 26, 2018).
Según el grupo político los dos militantes recibieron llamadas y panfletos en donde los declaran “delincuentes y terroristas y además son declarados como objetivo militar”
- Sally Palomino, “La Campana de Intimidacion Contra las Victimas de Colombia” (El Pais (Cali Colombia), January 26, 2018).
Meses antes de las elecciones parlamentarias y presidenciales, grupos armados intentan silenciar a los líderes en las regiones
- Steven Dudley, “With Firing of Tax Agency Chief, Guatemala’s Status Quo Makes Its Move” (InsightCrime, January 26, 2018).
“The firing of Solórzano Foppa can only be interpreted as the greatest sign of a return to the past”
- Christopher Sherman, Garance Burke, Martha Mendoza, “Secret Report: Honduras’ New Top Cop Helped Cartel Move Coke” (Associated Press **, January 26, 2018).
The incident raises questions about Honduras’ much-touted purge of corrupt police and the reliability of the administration of President Juan Orlando Hernandez
- “The President of Honduras Starts His Second Term Under a Cloud” (The Economist (Uk), January 26, 2018).
Juan Orlando Hernández has little legitimacy, but few real foes
- James Fredrick, “Mexico Registers Its Highest Number of Homicides on Record” (Parallels, National Public Radio, January 26, 2018).
In the first quarter of 2017, there were an average of 72.3 homicides per day. By the last quarter, it had increased to 86.4 a day
- Antonio MarÍa Delgado, “After Killing of Rebel Cop, Maduro’s Grip on Venezuela’s Military May Be Loosening” (The Miami Herald, January 26, 2018).
The unrest generated by Perez’s death is much deeper within the CICPC, a police agency that does not appear to enjoy much trust from top government leaders
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Dara Lind, “The Immigration Deal Trump’s White House Is Floating, Explained” (Vox, January 26, 2018).
The White House’s insistence on these four pillars is a little weird at this point