April 4, 2017
- Sgt. 1st Class John Etheridge, “U.S. Army South and Belize Defence Force Work Together to Provide Projects and Services to Communities in Belize” (U.S. Army South, Revista Dialogo (U.S. Southern Command), April 4, 2017).
BTH will provide free medical and dental services, as well as build medical and educational facilities, valued at $10 million, to communities across Belize
- Andrea Barretto, “Brazilian Army Upgrades Armored Vehicle Fleet” (Revista Dialogo (U.S. Southern Command), April 4, 2017).
The projected acquisition is part of a procurement timeline for the Guarani Program, a major focus for the Army, which is eager to upgrade its combat resources
- Nick Miroff, “A Kinder, Gentler Leftist Aims to Bridge Angry Divisions After Ecuador Win” (The Washington Post, April 4, 2017).
In his victory speeches, he promised to extend a hand to his rivals and seek compromise
- Ryan Dube, “Ecuador Presidential Vote Fair, Says Election Observer” (The Wall Street Journal, April 4, 2017).
Three quick counts, which are based on a sampling of official ballots and considered accurate, had Mr. Moreno, who celebrated late Sunday by singing alongside Mr. Correa, winning the vote
- Jo-Marie Burt, Paulo Estrada, “Rios Montt to Face Second Genocide Trial for the Dos Erres Massacre” (Open Society Foundations, April 4, 2017).
This is the second trial Ríos Montt will face in which he is charged with genocide and crimes against humanity
- Luis Gonzalez Placencia, “Seguridad Interior ¿Seguridad para Quien?” (Comisión Mexicana de Defensa y Promoción de los Derechos Humanos, April 4, 2017).
Una ley de seguridad interior que mantenga a los militares en las calles es continuar con la impunidad en materia de derechos humanos en México
- Elliot Spagat, “Http://www.chicagotribune.com/News/Nationworld/Ct-Border-Wall-Contractors-Hostile-20170404-story.html” (Associated Press, The Chicago Tribune, April 4, 2017).
The Border Patrol and local police would establish a buffer zone around the construction site if necessary, the U.S. official said
- Eyanir Chinea, Andrew Cawthorne, “Dissenting Attorney General Tips Venezuela Political Crisis” (Reuters , April 4, 2017).
Hitherto known as a stalwart ally of the ruling Socialists, whose prosecutors have helped put behind bars dozens of President Nicolas Maduro’s foes, Ortega’s public dissent on Friday was stunning
- Geoff Ramsey, “Latin America Responds to Venezuela’s Deepening Political Crisis” (Washington Office on Latin America, April 4, 2017).
Regional pressure can indeed influence the Venezuelan government’s actions—particularly when combined with domestic resistance, like Attorney General Luisa Ortega’s firm and vocal opposition
- Lesley Wroughton, Carlos Rawlins, “Venezuela Representative Storms From Regional Meeting” (Reuters , April 4, 2017).
The meeting later adopted a resolution calling on Venezuela to restore the full authority of the National Assembly and to restore democratic order by exercising democracy and the rule of law under the constitution
- “Oas Permanent Council Adopts Resolution on Recent Events in Venezuela” (Organization of American States, April 4, 2017).
Notwithstanding the recent revision of some elements of these decisions, it is essential that the Government of Venezuela ensures the full restoration of democratic order
- Jake Horowitz, “Trump-Tied Businessmen Met Nsc Officials, Bannon Over Venezuela Sanctions, Sources Say” (Mic.com, April 4, 2017).
Once at the White House, Habboush presented NSC officials — and Bannon, a day later — with a detailed 10-point plan outlining a proposal to lift U.S. sanctions on the country