May 9, 2018
- Shannon Sims, “Two Months on, Brazilians Still Ask: Who Killed Marielle Franco?” (Americas Quarterly, May 9, 2018).
What appears increasingly likely, according to observers, is that her murder was not a random act of violence but a meticulously planned political assassination
Central America Regional
- Maria Sacchetti, “Dhs Proposal Would Change Rules for Minors in Immigration Detention” (The Washington Post, May 9, 2018).
The draft regulations signal that the Trump administration is considering detaining families for longer periods and subjecting unaccompanied minors to increased scrutiny that could make it easier to deport them
Central America Regional, Mexico
- “12 Latin Countries Meet in el Salvador on Gang Threat” (Associated Press, The Washington Post, May 9, 2018).
The Central America Security Conference was attended by officials from Central America, the United States, Canada and Mexico
- “Asesinan a Otro Lider Social en Antioquia en Menos de Ocho Dias” (El Espectador (Colombia), May 9, 2018).
El hecho ocurrió en el sector del Pescado, en Puerto Valdivia, Antioquia, el mismo municipio donde la semana pasada fue abaleado otro miembro de esa organización
- “One Million Fled Economic Crisis-Hit Venezuela for Colombia in Past Year” (AFP, The Guardian (Uk), May 9, 2018).
Red Cross says with the crisis intensifying, an estimated 37,000 people were now crossing the Colombian border each day
- Lautaro Ojeda Segovia, “ff.aa., Seguridad y Defensa Nacional” (El Universo (Ecuador), May 9, 2018).
El incremento del narcotráfico y del crimen internacional organizado en América Latina y en el Ecuador está obligando a que las FF.AA. se policialicen, posición que obliga a repensar su papel
- Rachel A. Schwartz, “Is Russia Interfering in Guatemala’s Anti-Corruption Commission? The Real Story Might Surprise You.” (The Washington Post, May 9, 2018).
By labeling the CICIG as a political instrument of the Russian government, Guatemalan political elites are looking to roll back the country’s tough anti-corruption campaign
- Gabriel Woltke, Javier Estrada Tobar, “El Pacto de Corruptos Intenta Revivir una Ley Contra Todos: Ong, Medios y Cualquier Empresa” (Nomada (Guatemala), May 9, 2018).
Esta tarde se disponían a revivir y ampliar una ley de 1963 que no se ha aplicado en la democracia
- “Fbi Apoyara a la Fuerza Nacional Antimaras y Pandillas” (El Heraldo (Honduras), May 9, 2018).
José Coello, vocero de Fusina, declaró a EL HERALDO que la Fuerza tendrá apoyo del FBI para realizar las investigaciones
- “Mexico’s Southern Border: Security, Violence and Migration in the Trump Era” (International Crisis Group, May 9, 2018).
The military already has the pre-eminent role in running the Southern Border Plan, and the civilian component is getting smaller still
- Gregory Wallace, “National Guard Troops Involved in 1,600 Apprehensions at Mexican Border” (CNN, May 9, 2018).
A National Guard official said the troops do face a restriction: Those monitoring surveillance equipment, such as cameras, are prohibited from viewing the Mexico side of the border
- Elizabeth Mclaughlin, Geneva Sands, “Dhs Requesting 700 Additional Troops, Helicopters for Us-Mexico Border Security” (ABC News, May 9, 2018).
The defense official said the Department of Homeland Security Wednesday will request about 700 additional National Guardsmen plus helicopters and other equipment
- “Why Being a Mayor in Mexico Is So Dangerous” (The Economist (Uk), May 9, 2018).
Some perish because they fight corruption and organised crime. Others die because they side with a gang, becoming targets of its rivals
- “3 Mexican Soldiers Killed, 3 Wounded in Attack” (Associated Press, The Washington Post, May 9, 2018).
In a statement, the army said the attack occurred Tuesday in the township of Coyuca de Catalan as soldiers responded to an anonymous report about armed men in the area
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Dara Lind, “Paul Ryan Is Facing an Immigration Challenge — From His Own Party’s Moderates” (Vox, May 9, 2018).
If all 240 members who support the “queen of the hill” plan put their signatures where their mouths are, it actually would. The question is how many of them are willing to openly antagonize Ryan by doing it