June 4, 2018
- Nelza Oliveira, “Brazilian Army Conducts Training for Rio de Janeiro’s Military Police” (Revista Dialogo (U.S. Southern Command), June 4, 2018).
The partnership calls for EB to provide Brazil’s PM with support, such as staffing, training, equipment, planning instruments, and intelligence
Central America Regional, Mexico
- Adolfo Flores, “They Wanted Everyone to Hear About the Migrants Coming to the Us. Then Everyone Did.” (BuzzFeed, June 4, 2018).
It was a lesson in the consequences, in the age of Trump, of getting the attention you thought you wanted
- Yamid Amat, “‘No Acabare Con los Acuerdos, Pero Si Hare Modificaciones’: Duque” (El Tiempo (Colombia), June 4, 2018).
Creo que hay muchas cosas de la implementación de los acuerdos que están saliendo mal, que deberían poder modificarse
- Nina Lakhani, Tom Dart, “‘Claudia Was a Good Girl. Why Did They Kill Her?’ From a Guatemalan Village to Death in Texas” (The Guardian (Uk), June 4, 2018).
A week ago, 20-year-old Claudia Gómez was shot dead by border patrol agents in Texas – and no one has provided answers for her grieving family
- Sandra Cuffe, “Officials on Trial for Authorizing Dam Linked to Berta Caceres’s Murder” (Sierra Club, June 4, 2018).
Nine men have been arrested in connection with the 2016 killing, and more than half of them have direct ties to DESA and/or to the military
- Nick Miroff, “Trump Touts San Diego Border Wall, but There’s a Hole in This Success Story” (The Washington Post, June 4, 2018).
Border walls — or tall fences — do not necessarily work in the way the president says. They have been far more effective at stopping people than at stopping drugs
- Daniel Duane, “City of Exiles” (The California Sunday Magazine, June 4, 2018).
Every month, thousands of deportees from the United States and hundreds of asylum-seekers from around the world arrive in Tijuana. Many never leave
- Kirk Semple, “Why Is Trump ‘Not Important’ in Mexico Election? All Candidates Are Against Him” (The New York Times, June 4, 2018).
While the presidential candidates have sought to differentiate themselves on key domestic issues, they have largely echoed each other in their positions on Mexico’s relationship with the United States
- Maria Verza, “Team Studies Bones to Identify the Disappeared in Mexico” (Associated Press **, June 4, 2018).
Disappearances in Mexico are rarely solved because corruption complicates investigations and encourages impunity. And resources are scarce
- Sarah Kinosian, “Students Have Become the Voice of Nicaragua Amid Violent Protests” (Teen Vogue, June 4, 2018).
“We lost fear a long time ago, and now we see only two options: We back down and die as cowards, or we keep going until he steps down, even if we die fighting”
- Ismael Lopez, Maynor Salazar, “Los Escuadrones de la Muerte de Ortega” (Confidencial (Nicaragua), June 4, 2018).
Paramilitares que el Gobierno niega, son policías vestidos de civil, trabajadores de la alcaldía, excombatientes y pandilleros, que siembran terror
- Anthony Faiola, Rachelle Krygier, “A Historic Exodus Is Leaving Venezuela Without Teachers, Doctors and Electricians” (The Washington Post, June 4, 2018).
This collapsing socialist state is suffering one of the most dramatic outflows of human talent in modern history
- Mike Pompeo, “Remarks at the General Assembly of the Organization of American States (Oas)” (U.S. Department of State, June 4, 2018).
Vice President Pence challenged member-states last month to do what the Democratic Charter asks of us when faced with an unconstitutional interruption in democratic order of a member-state: suspend Venezuela from this body
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Robert Moore, “Border Agents Are Using a New Weapon Against Asylum Seekers” (Texas Monthly, June 4, 2018).
Federal law allows immigrants to step into United States and claim asylum; agents are physically preventing them from doing so
- Nick Miroff, “Illegal Border Crossings Remained High in May Despite Trump’s Crackdown” (The Washington Post, June 4, 2018).
Trump administration officials are bracing for a new eruption from the president
- Nancy Cook, Ted Hesson, “Blowback Over Border Separations Amps Up Tensions Inside Trump Administration” (Politico, June 4, 2018).
ome current and former administration officials see the renewed border crackdown as the latest example of enacting an aggressive policy without enough resources in place to deal with the resulting logistics