October 5, 2018
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Angela Kocherga, “Record Surge of Families Crossing Border” (The Albuquerque Journal, October 5, 2018).
“If I had space for 1,000 per week, (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) would release 1,000. We’re over capacity,” said Ruben Garcia, director of Annunciation House
- David Noriega, “Brazilian Politics Is Backsliding Toward Militarism, and the Presidential Election Could Make It Worse” (VICE, October 5, 2018).
Though Brazil has always had ultra-nationalist hardliners, what makes this year’s election different is that their rhetoric has much broader appeal
- Dom Phillips, Tom Phillips, “Brazil Elections: Prospect of Bolsonaro Victory Stokes Fears of Return to Dictatorship” (The Guardian (Uk), October 5, 2018).
Haddad had seemed to be gaining ground on Bolsonaro but the latest polls give him about 22% of intended votes, suggesting his campaign may have stalled, while Bolsonaro has opened up a 13-point lead
- Adelaida Avila Cabrera, Juanita Velez, “La Sustitucion de la Coca Si Esta Llegando a Donde Es Pero Muy Lento” (La Silla Vacia (Colombia), October 5, 2018).
En los 20 municipios donde se disparó la coca a comparación de 2016, apenas en cuatro ha entrado el Programa, de los cuales en tres ya van en la fase de asistencia técnica
Haiti, Mexico, Venezuela
- Kate Morrissey, “More Haitians Arriving in Tijuana From Venezuela” (The San Diego Union-Tribune, October 5, 2018).
For Haitians who had been living in Venezuela, choosing to leave that country as well is just another step on a longer migration journey
- Paris Martínez, “Alemania Enjuicia a Fabrica de Armas Usadas Contra Normalistas; En Mexico, el Ejercito Destruye Evidencias” (Animal Politico (Mexico), October 5, 2018).
El caso de los normalistas de Ayotzinapa es pieza clave en el juicio que se sigue en Alemania contra Heckler & Koch
- Ezequiel Flores Contreras, “La Legalizacion de la Amapola Podria Ser una Salida al Problema de la Violencia: Cienfuegos” (Proceso (Mexico), October 5, 2018).
“Aquí lo único que se debe de tratar es la seguridad de los campesinos que ya no van a vender a los delincuentes, sino al gobierno, para hacer la morfina que se usa para atender el dolor en los pacientes”
- , David Agren, “More Than 6,500 Children Missing in Mexico, New Data Reveals” (The Guardian (Uk), October 5, 2018).
The problem has gone largely unrecognized until recently, and victims’ families suffered the stigma of guilt by association amid a perception – often encouraged by the authorites – that victims of the drug war were somehow complicit
- Gloria Leticia DÍaz, “El Centro Tlachinollan: 24 Anos en Defensa del Territorio y Contra la Impunidad” (Proceso (Mexico), October 5, 2018).
A 24 años de existencia, los principales retos para Tlachinollan están en la defensa del territorio indígena y en alcanzar la verdad en el caso Ayotzinapa
- Charles Davis, “In Nicaragua, Torture Is Used to Feed ‘Fake News’” (The Daily Beast, October 5, 2018).
“They told me if I didn’t cooperate and read what they would give me they were going to show the execution of my compañero, and then there would be another and another”
- Dan Collyns, “Daniel Urresti, Peru’s Populist Champion, Cleared of Murdering Journalist” (The Guardian (Uk), October 5, 2018).
Daniel Urresti, a former army general who was facing 25 years in jail for planning the murder of Hugo Bustíos, is now free to continue his campaign to lead one of South America’s biggest cities