October 9, 2018
- Brian Winter, “What to Expect From Jair Bolsonaro” (Americas Quarterly, October 9, 2018).
Bolsonaro will have extraordinary power to act as he chooses, at least at first. After the crisis of recent years, many Brazilians see democracy as a synonym for chaos, corruption and leniency with criminals
- Glenn Greenwald, “Brazil’s Bolsonaro-Led Far Right Wins a Victory Far More Sweeping and Dangerous Than Anyone Predicted. Its Lessons Are Global.” (The Intercept, October 9, 2018).
One could write thousands of words about the equally shocking statements and actions of numerous candidates who last night not only won but won with overwhelming mandates
- Jeffrey W Rubin, “In Brazil and the Us, Democracy Is at a Crossroads” (The Guardian (Uk), October 9, 2018).
As I spoke with Brazilians, I found myself repeatedly ticking off the many similarities between the two countries’ trajectories. And wondering, are there common forces that produced such similar results
- “Gobierno Destinara 2,6 Billones de Pesos para Implementacion de la Paz” (El Tiempo (Colombia), October 9, 2018).
“El incremento de los precios internacionales del crudo hará que se aumenten las partidas provenientes de las regalías, lo que va a favorecer el PMI”
- Kenji Doku, “Hermetismo Tras Detencion en Eeuu de Exdirector del Das Javier Valle Anaya” (El Heraldo (Cartagena Colombia), October 9, 2018).
El ex funcionario, condenado por el asesinato del profesor Alfredo Correa De Andreis, permanece en este país desde 2007
- Joe Parkin Daniels, “Hector Abad: ‘Do Not Sink Into Rancour’” (The Guardian (Uk), October 9, 2018).
Abad’s new novel, The Farm, follows a family as it struggles to live among guerrillas, paramilitaries, army soldiers and drug lords
- Maria Isabel Rueda, “‘Colombia Debe Renovar su Capacidad Ofensiva’: Francisco Santos” (El Tiempo (Colombia), October 9, 2018).
“Es que la industria de la droga cambió. Hoy hay cultivos de 40, 50, 70 hectáreas. Que no son propiamente de un pequeño campesino, sino cultivos narcoindustriales que la única manera de poder erradicar eficientemente es mediante la fumigación”
- Marta Martinez, “Unhcr to Intensify Aid to Venezuelans in Colombia” (UN High Commissioner for Refugees, October 9, 2018).
Nearly 400,000 Venezuelans have obtained permits to legally work and access social services in the country, according to the Colombian government
- Alan Feuer, “Who Will Testify Against el Chapo at Trial?” (The New York Times, October 9, 2018).
Two big drug dealers. A corrupt official. The government has sought to protect the identities of witnesses against the drug lord, but some possibilities are known
- “Elecciones en Puno: Walter Aduviri al Poder” (La Republica (Peru), October 9, 2018).
Para el exlíder aimara, su despedazamiento fue la sentencia de siete años de cárcel que le dieron por los disturbios del 2011 y que el pasado 05 de octubre fue anulada por la Corte Suprema
- Jacquelyn Kovarik, “Why Don’t We Talk About Peru’s Forced Sterilizations?” (The New Republic, October 9, 2018).
The over 200,000 women who were violated under Fujimori have been treated as, at best, an afterthought for the past two decades
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Rafael Carranza, “Backlog Leads to Surge in Border Asylum Wait Times, Mass Release of Migrant Families” (The Arizona Republic, October 9, 2018).
The numbers of families released into southern Arizona were so large that Catholic Community Services opened an emergency shelter in Tucson to house them