November 19, 2018
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Gordon Adams, Isaiah Wilson Iii, Lawrence B. Wilkerson, “Trump’s Border Stunt Is a Profound Betrayal of Our Military” (The New York Times, November 19, 2018).
They are not toy soldiers to be moved around by political leaders but a neutral institution, politically speaking
- Wesley Morgan, “Troops at U.S.-Mexican Border to Start Coming Home” (Animal Politico (Mexico), November 19, 2018).
Democrats and Republicans have criticized the deployment as a ploy by the president to use active-duty military forces as a prop to try to stem Republican losses in this month’s midterm elections
- David J. Lynch, “‘This would be a very good time to do a shutdown,’ Trump says” (The Washington Post, November 19, 2018).
The president wants $5 billion for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, suggesting he may not sign a bill to keep the government open past Dec. 7 without it
- Alan Gomez, “Homeland Security Focuses on Border Security a?? Not Processing Asylum Applications From Migrant Caravan” (USA Today, November 19, 2018).
The administration has been able to find money to send 2,000 National Guardsmen, deploy more than 5,800 active-duty military troops, and build a tent city to house minors, but somehow can’t find money when asked to help asylum-seekers
- Nick Miroff, “U.S. Adds More Barriers, Razor Wire at Mexico Border Amid Fears of a Crowd Surge” (The Washington Post, November 19, 2018).
U.S. Customs and Border Protection closed the entire San Ysidro crossing in San Diego for several hours before dawn, installing additional layers of razor wire and concrete barriers. It reopened with 10 of the port’s 26 vehicle lanes closed
- Tal Kopan, “More Than 14,000 Immigrant Children Are in U.S. Custody, an All-Time High” (The San Francisco Chronicle, November 19, 2018).
There were 14,056 unaccompanied immigrant minors in Department of Health and Human Services custody on Friday
- Hamed Aleaziz, “A Federal Judge Suggested Trump’s New Border Policies Ignore Congress’s Intent on Asylum” (BuzzFeed, November 19, 2018).
He seemed troubled that the new policy would actually allow fewer options, not more, for where a migrant could request asylum
- Dom Phillips, “Jair Bolsonaro Says Brazilians ‘Still Don’t Know What Dictatorship Is’” (The Guardian (Uk), November 19, 2018).
Hungary “is a country that has suffered a lot with communism in the past, a people that knows what dictatorship is”, Bolsonaro told a news conference outside his home in Rio de Janeiro
Brazil, Venezuela, Western Hemisphere Regional
- “Brasil Organiza Ejercicio Militar Aereo y Venezuela Participa Como Observador” (EFE, El Estimulo (Venezuela), November 19, 2018).
Un centenar de aeronaves de siete países, entre los cuales Chile, Perú, Uruguay, EE.UU. y Francia, dieron inicio el 18 de noviembre en la ciudad brasileña de Natal al Ejercicio Cruzeiro do Sul (Cruzex 2018), el mayor ejercicio militar aéreo ya organizado por Brasil
Central America Regional, Mexico
- Elisabeth Malkin, “Migrant Caravan Is Just Yards From U.S. Border, but Long Wait Lies Ahead” (The New York Times, November 19, 2018).
Less than a week old, the shelter has assumed the squalor of an overwhelmed refugee camp, and the rhythms of enforced idleness have taken hold
- Clyde Haberman, “He Died Giving a Voice to Chile’s Poor. A Quest for Justice Took Decades.” (The New York Times, November 19, 2018).
The activist folk singer Victor Jara was murdered in the days after a 1973 coup that brought Gen. Augusto Pinochet to power. A quest for his killers led to a Florida courtroom
- Laura Soto, “Viaje a las Entranas de la Coca en el Cauca” (La Silla Vacia (Colombia), November 19, 2018).
Desde que se fueron las Farc los que quedaron controlando el negocio son los campesinos que tienen una suerte de Estado paralelo
- Marisol Gomez, Sair Buitrago, “Ya Son 478 los Particulares Que Han Ido Voluntariamente a la Jep” (El Tiempo (Colombia), November 19, 2018).
Musa Besaile, Zulema Jattin y David Char encabezan lista de ocho excongresistas que piden cupo
- “La Estrategia del Gobierno para Proteger a los Lideres Sociales” (El Tiempo (Colombia), November 19, 2018).
El Gobierno Nacional creará la Comisión del Plan de Acción Oportuna (PAO) para Defensores de Derechos Humanos
- Juan Manuel Florez Arias, “Comfort, el Colosal Que Sano el Uraba Antioqueno” (El Colombiano (Medellin Colombia), November 19, 2018).
En Urabá el barco Usn Comfort brinda atención médica a los habitantes de esta región antioqueña. El gigante, pintado de blanco y con cruces rojas, arribará a Riohacha a prestar sus servicios
- Hector Silva Avalos, “Alleged Corruption Plagues Selection of el Salvador‘S Top Prosecutor” (InsightCrime, November 19, 2018).
The selection of a weak attorney general by Congress members accused of corruption would put all the recent progress made by El Salvador’s Attorney General’s Office at risk
- Elsa Cabria, “Huida Silenciosa al Barrio Nica de Guatemala” (Plaza Publica (Guatemala), November 19, 2018).
La represión en el país que preside Daniel Ortega reconfigura un área roja del centro de Ciudad de Guatemala con negocios del país vecino
- Luke Barr, “Military, Border Patrol Called Out to Stop Migrant ‘Rush’ but It Was a False Alarm” (ABC News, November 19, 2018).
DHS claims the department has identified more than “500 criminals” in the caravan
- Falko Ernst, “The Life and Death of a Mexican Hitman” (International Crisis Group, November 19, 2018).
Child soldiers like him are recruited into a system whose roots are sunk deep in Mexico’s inequalities. Then they are often trained to become ruthless killers, going from victims to victimisers
- Alejandro Hope, “No Maten a la Policia Federal” (El Universal (Mexico), November 19, 2018).
Hay tareas que hoy realiza la PF que sería demencial trasladar a un cuerpo militar. Por ejemplo, retirar bloqueos en carreteras. ¿Quiere el gobierno de AMLO enviar a soldados y marinos contra manifestantes?
- Ezequiel Flores Contreras, “Frenan a Balazos Retorno de Desplazados a Sus Comunidades en la Sierra Guerrerense” (Proceso (Mexico), November 19, 2018).
La balacera fue percibida directamente por una patrulla militar y un grupo de reporteros que viajaban en dos autos, sobre un camino boscoso y desde un monte surgieron las ráfagas
- Oscar Chumpitaz, “Seis Narcos Controlan la Mitad de Toda la Droga Que Sale del Vraem” (La Republica (Peru), November 19, 2018).
Los nuevos capos del Vraem se hacen llamar ahora ‘Viejo Guti’, ‘Comanche’, Galleta’, ‘Huatari’, ‘Chipy’ o ‘Gato’
- Franklin Briceno, “Peru Says Ex-President Has Sought Asylum in Uruguay” (Associated Press **, November 19, 2018).
Late Saturday, a judge in Lima granted prosecutors’ request that Garcia be banned from leaving Peru for 18 months as investigators probe allegations he received illegal payment from Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht
- John Hudson, Lena H. Sun, “Trump Administration Prepares to Add Venezuela to List of State Sponsors of Terrorism” (The Washington Post, November 19, 2018).
“That was the first we had heard of it,” the official said. “It didn’t make sense. And then it was like, ‘Oh, crap. What is this going to do to our ability to respond to the slow-moving health disaster that is coming out of Venezuela?”