December 20, 2018
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Garance Burke, Martha Mendoza, “‘A Moral Disaster’: Ap Reveals Scope of Migrant Kids Program” (Associated Press, Associated Press, December 20, 2018).
Some 9,800 are in facilities with 100-plus total kids, according to confidential government data obtained and cross-checked by The Associated Press
- “Brazil: Police Killings at Record High in Rio” (Human Rights Watch, December 20, 2018).
Rio will finish the year with the highest number of police killings since the state started collecting that data in 1998. The previous record was 1,330 in 2007
- Christine Murray, Nelson Renteria, “El Salvador’s Top Cop Pursues Politicians; Now Some Want Him Gone” (Reuters, Reuters, December 20, 2018).
Despite international support, Melendez has powerful opponents in the ruling leftist party. El Salvador’s lawmakers could make their decision as soon as this week
- Hector Silva Avalos, “Morales Orders Cicig Agents to Leave Guatemala” (InsightCrime, December 20, 2018).
Morales has also been garnering support from none other than US President Donald Trump’s administration, which has come out in his support at critical moments in the situation with the commission
- “Honduran Migrant Gunned Down Shortly After Us Deportation” (Reuters, Voice of America, December 20, 2018).
Espinal was deported from the United States in late November and barred from returning for five years
- Kevin Sieff, “Migrants Will Wait in Mexico While the U.S. Processes Asylum Claims. That’s a Dangerous Proposition.” (The Washington Post, December 20, 2018).
For migrants, remaining in northeastern Mexico while their asylum claims are adjudicated in the U.S. could have devastating consequences Reynosa might soon be home to hundreds or thousands of migrants waiting to seek refuge in the United States. No one is sure how they would survive here
- Dara Lind, “Trump Is Officially Turning Back Asylum Seekers Who Come to the Us Through Mexico” (Vox, December 20, 2018).
In the past, Mexico hasn’t allowed the US to use this provision to return Central Americans and other non-Mexicans to Mexican soil. Now, they have relented
- “Secretary Kirstjen M. Nielsen Announces Historic Action to Confront Illegal Immigration” (Department of Homeland Security, December 20, 2018).
Individuals arriving in or entering the United States from Mexico—illegally or without proper documentation—may be returned to Mexico for the duration of their immigration proceedings
- “Posicionamiento de Mexico Ante la Decision Delgobierno de Eua de Implementar la Seccion 235(B)(2)(C) de su Ley de Inmigracion y Nacionalidad” (Presidencia de la Republica (Mexico), December 20, 2018).
Las acciones que tomen los gobiernos de México y de Estados Unidos no constituyen un esquema de Tercer País Seguro, en el que se obligaría a las personas migrantes en tránsito a solicitar asilo en México
- Carlos Dada, ““Esto Es Peor Que un Estado de Excepcion”” (El Faro (El Salvador), December 20, 2018).
El escritor Sergio Ramírez (Premio Cervantes 2017) no ve una salida a la actual crisis nicaragüense. Ortega reprime, dice, pero no gobierna. Los dirigentes de las manifestaciones de abril y mayo están muertos, en el exilio o presos y hoy no hay líderes políticos