April 19, 2017
Central America Regional
- Cristiano Lima, “Sessions: Ms-13 Gang Could Be Labeled a Terrorist Organization” (Politico, April 19, 2017).
“I think so, perhaps. I believe it could qualify for that,” Sessions said in an interview with Fox News’ Tucker Carlson. “There are rules that I guess the State Department does to establish that”
- Harriet Dedman, “Inside a Farc Camp That’s Preparing Guerrilla Soldiers for Civilian Life” (VICE, April 19, 2017).
As the peace deal is slowly implemented, around 6,300 former FARC guerrilla soldiers wait in 26 zonas veredales — transitional camps — across the country
- “Santos Realizo Visita Sorpresa a Zona Veredal la Carmelita, Putumayo” (El Tiempo (Colombia), April 19, 2017).
“Quedé bastante satisfecho”, afirmó el Jefe del Estado, quien indicó que el 70 por ciento de las viviendas en ese sitio ya está ocupado
- Gimena Sanchez-Garzoli, Sonia Londono, “La Segunda Mision Politica de la Onu en Colombia: Fundamental para la Proteccion y Seguridad de Defensoras y Defensores de Derechos Humanos” (Washington Office on Latin America, April 19, 2017).
Las organizaciones refieren que la OACNUDH tendría un rol fundamental en esta segunda misión a través de un mandato específico
- “Choco, Bajo Fuego Cruzado de Eln y Gaitanistas” (El Espectador (Colombia), April 19, 2017).
Hay alerta en 20 de los 30 municipios. Las Autodefensas Gaitanistas están en una lucha territorial contra el ELN, secuestros y asesinatos son el resultado de la pelea por el corredor del Bajo Baudó
- Olga Patricia Rendon Marulanda, “Asi Es Como la Fuerza Publica Quiere Contar la Memoria del Conflicto” (El Colombiano (Medellin Colombia), April 19, 2017).
“Esta pudo ser una concesión a los militares para que no vayan a entorpecer esta parte del cese el fuego que es tan delicada”
- “La Aspersion Aerea de Glifosato Reviviria en la Corte Constitucional” (Semana (Colombia), April 19, 2017).
Aunque Arrieta plantea restricciones importantes para reanudar las aspersiones aéreas, esta ponencia es una luz verde para continuar fumigando con glifosato
- “Entre Trump, Pastrana y Uribe Hubo “Breve Conversacion”: Casa Blanca” (El Colombiano (Medellin Colombia), April 19, 2017).
“Los dos expresidentes eran los invitados de un miembro de Mar-a-Lago este fin de semana, y hubo una breve conversación y un apretón de manos (con Trump)”
Central America Regional, El Salvador
- Katie Bo Williams, Rafael Bernal, “Trump Puts Spotlight on Ms-13” (The Hill, April 19, 2017).
President Trump and two of his Cabinet members offered warnings Tuesday about the dangers posed by MS-13, a gang based in El Salvador that has offshoots in cities across the United States
- Jesusa Cervantes, “Se Complica Aprobacion de Ley de Seguridad Interior, Admite Camacho Quiroz” (Proceso (Mexico), April 19, 2017).
La Ley de Seguridad Interior no se aprobará este periodo ordinario de sesiones, que culmina el domingo 30
- “U.S. Senate Report: Wall Costs Could Soar Toward $70 Billion” (Senate Committee on Homeland Security Democrats, April 19, 2017).
“There is no reliable estimate of the cost of construction of the full border wall, but extrapolated estimates place the construction cost of the wall and associated technology and infrastructure at nearly $70 billion”
- Ron Nixon, “Border Wall Could Cost 3 Times Estimates, Senate Democrats’ Report Says” (The New York Times, April 19, 2017).
The report said the border wall could cost nearly $70 billion to build and $150 million a year to maintain
Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama
- Roberto Lopez Dubois, “Rescue on Central American Borders” (Revista Dialogo (U.S. Southern Command), April 19, 2017).
A group of 21 units from the Panamanian, Costa Rican, and Guatemalan militaries participated from March 6th to 30th in a Search and Rescue (SAR) course sponsored by U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- “Paraguay President Backs Off Re-Election Bid” (BBC (UK), April 19, 2017).
His bid to change the constitution and seek a second term triggered deadly riots last month
- Eyanir Chinea, Diego Ore, “Detained Opposition Activists Say Venezuela Authorities Tortured Them” (Reuters **, April 19, 2017).
“Francisco Alejandro spent three days handcuffed to a pipe,” lawyer Joel Garcia told Reuters, adding that he was made to stand for three days
- Brian Ellsworth, Diego Ore, “Venezuelan Opposition to Hold ‘Mother of All Marches’ Against Maduro” (Reuters **, April 19, 2017).
Marchers around the country will demand the government present a timeline for delayed elections, halt a security crackdown on protests, and respect the autonomy of the opposition-led legislature
- “Venezuela: Oas Secretary General Calls for Respect for Right to Peaceful Protest” (Organization of American States, April 19, 2017).
It is not a question of solving imperfections in Venezuela, it is a question of recovering democracy
- Mark C. Toner, “Non-Violence and Accountability During Protests in Venezuela” (U.S. Department of State, April 19, 2017).
Those responsible for the criminal repression of peaceful democratic activity, for the undermining of democratic institutions and practices, and for gross violations of human rights, will be held individually accountable
- “Venezuela: Humanitarian Crisis Spilling Into Brazil” (Human Rights Watch, April 19, 2017).
Latin American governments need to apply strong pressure on the Maduro administration to address severe shortages of medicine and food in Venezuela that are causing Venezuelans to leave
Western Hemisphere Regional
- “People Deprived of Their Liberty for Drug Offenses” (Colectivo de Estudios Drogas y Derecho, April 19, 2017).
Incarceration rates have increased for drug offenses in the countries studied, even as a widespread regional debate takes place on the need to explore alternative drug policies
- Secretary John Kelly, “Home and Away: Dhs and the Threats to America, Remarks Delivered by Secretary Kelly at George Washington University Center for Cyber and Homeland Security” (U.S. Department of Homeland Security, April 19, 2017).
In June, the State Department, along with Treasury, Commerce and DHS and our co-host Mexico, will host a conference focused on the economic and security needs of El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala