March 13, 2019
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Otaviano Canuto, “How Chinese Investment in Latin America Is Changing” (Americas Quarterly, March 13, 2019).
China’s development lending to Latin America and the Caribbean has been larger than lending from the World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and CAF Development Bank of Latin America combined
- Ernesto Londono, Lis Moriconi, “Ex-Officers Arrested in Killing of Marielle Franco, Brazilian Politician and Activist” (The New York Times, March 13, 2019).
Officials have yet to outline a motive for the killing or identify the person or people who ordered it
- Dom Phillips, “Brazil: Two Ex-Police Officers Arrested Over Murder of Marielle Franco” (The Guardian (Uk), March 13, 2019).
Investigators said Lessa fired the shots that killed Franco and Gomes on 14 March last year, on the north side of Rio. Queiroz drove the car that ambushed them
- Ariel Ávila, “La Destruccion en Escenas” (El Pais (Cali Colombia), March 13, 2019).
Los ganadores fueron una serie de civiles, políticos y empresarios, que en lo fundamental se quedaron con la mayoría de los seis millones de hectáreas despojadas a campesinos y utilizaron los grupos armados ilegales como un mecanismo de competencia política
- “Tres Escenarios Esperan a la Ley Estatutaria de la Jep en el Congreso” (El Tiempo (Colombia), March 13, 2019).
Que el Legislativo rechace las objeciones, que las acepte o que la ley se archive
- Angelica Duran Martinez, “¿Quien Tiene Razon en el Debate Sobre el Glifosato?” (Razon Publica (Colombia), March 13, 2019).
La visión que tiene el Gobierno sobre los cultivos ilícitos es sumamente simplista y moralista, pues como han demostrado varios estudios de gobierno anteriores, los cultivos son producto de una compleja combinación de factores
- Bryan Lowry, Franco Ordonez, Lindsay Wise, “Trump Seeks to Slash Democracy Funds for Venezuela, Cuba” (McClatchy News Service, March 13, 2019).
Trump is proposing a 40 percent cut to funds that promote democracy and human rights in Venezuela at the same time that he and Vice President Mike Pence make promises to stick by the Venezuelan people
- “Guatemala Congress Must Not Pass “Amnesty” Bill for Rights Violations, Say un Experts” (UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, March 13, 2019).
The approval of these reforms would seriously affect victims’ rights to justice, truth, reparation and guarantees of non-repetition. It could also lead to reprisals and attacks against victims, judges, prosecutors, lawyers, plaintiffs, witnesses, experts and others involved in human rights trials
- Jo-Marie Burt, “Why War Criminals Could Walk Free in Guatemala” (Americas Quarterly, March 13, 2019).
This is not a recipe for reconciliation; it is a path to disaster for Guatemala and the region
- “Aplican Justicia a Medias a Militares Que Violaron Derechos en Choluteca en Protestas del Fraude” (Criterio (Honduras), March 13, 2019).
La noche del 17 de diciembre de 2017, personas de diferentes barrios y colonias de la ciudad de Choluteca salieron a protestar a inmediaciones del bulevar salida a San Marcos de Colón, donde llegó un contingente integrado por al menos 50 militares disparando a bala viva
- Arturo Angel, “Con Pena Aumento la Letalidad en Operativos de la Marina: Por Cada Herido Hubo 20 Muertos” (Animal Politico (Mexico), March 13, 2019).
De 2012 a 2019, la proporción es de 23 presuntos infractores muertos por cada lesionado, al enfrentarse con la Marina
- David Agren, “Jobs, Roads and Schools: Mexico’s New President Makes a Play for el Chapo’s Homeland” (The Guardian (Uk), March 13, 2019).
In many corners of Mexico, ordinary people often see crime bosses as less predatory than state governors and congressmen
- Amna Nawaz, “At U.S.-Mexico Border, Migrants Seeking Legal Entry Are Stranded in Hazardous ‘Limbo’” (PBS NewsHour, March 13, 2019).
This is a line of more than 250 families, over 1,000-people-long, sheltered under blue tarps during hot days and sleeping on a freezing sidewalk overnight. Many have been here for months
- Julia Ainsley, “U.S. Has Turned Back 240 Asylum-Seekers Under Remain in Mexico Policy” (NBC News, March 13, 2019).
The policy began at the San Ysidro port of entry, near Tijuana, but has expanded within the last week to include migrants crossing at additional ports of entry in the San Diego sector and at the Calexico, California, port of entry
- Jorge G. Castaneda, “Amlo’s First 100 Days: The Ugly, the Absurd and the Good” (The New York Times, March 13, 2019).
Mr. López Obrador is filling Supreme Court vacancies with his supporters, and the political opposition is in complete disarray. The only opposition exists in the markets and the punditocracy
- “El Gobierno Congela 17 Cuentas Ligadas al Cartel de Santa Rosa, Dice Alfonso Durazo en Informe” (SinEmbargo (Mexico), March 13, 2019).
Destacó que la inseguridad ha dejado de ser atendida con el uso de la fuerza y el autoritarismo como estrategia principal
- Juan Forero, Maolis Castro, “Desperate Looters Ravage Power-Starved Western Venezuela” (The Wall Street Journal, March 13, 2019).
The regime responded to the deepening crisis by ordering the arrest of a prominent Venezuelan journalist, while calling on its violent allies, the paramilitary colectivos, to be on guard
- Anatoly Kurmanaev, “Venezuela, Seeking Blame for Blackout, Finds Culprit in Opposition Leader” (The New York Times, March 13, 2019).
The detention of Mr. Díaz has jolted Venezuelan civil society. Some called it President Nicolás Maduro’s most brazen attempt yet to scapegoat critics for the blackout
- David Smilde, Geoff Ramsey, “How Congress Can Advance Non-Violent, Democratic Solutions to the Venezuela Crisis” (Washington Office on Latin America, March 13, 2019).
The only viable path out of this crisis is a multilateral process that leads to free and fair elections, in which Venezuelans can choose their leaders. This must include a multilateral plan to address the humanitarian emergency on the ground without instigating armed conflict
- Elliott Abrams, Robert Palladino, “Department Press Briefing – March 12, 2019” (U.S. Department of State, March 13, 2019).
Are you going in – is this Saigon ’75?
- David E. Sanger, Edward Wong, “U.S. Runs Low on Options to Oust Venezuelan Ruler” (The New York Times, March 13, 2019).
The move to vacate the United States Embassy in Caracas was a significant setback for the Trump administration. American officials had previously vowed to keep diplomats in Venezuela to legitimize Juan Guaidó