April 27, 2017
- Anthony Boadle, Brad Brooks, “Brazil’s Senate Passes Bill Prosecutors View as Curbing Graft Probes” (Reuters **, April 27, 2017).
Brazilian Senators, two dozen of whom are being investigated for corruption, pushed through a bill on Wednesday that many prosecutors and judges say curbs their ability to carry out probes, mainly those targeting the politicians themselves
- Carolina Heringer, Caio Barretto Briso, Dayana Resende, Gabriela Viana, “Numero de Confrontos Aumentou Em Areas Com Upp No Rio, Segundo Estudo” (O Globo (Brazil), April 27, 2017).
Um estudo da Polícia Militar revela que, em cinco anos, os confrontos em áreas com Unidades de Polícia Pacificadora (UPPs), como o Complexo do Alemão, aumentaram 13.746%
- “Chile: Ex Jefe del Ejercito, Complice Crimenes Tras Golpe” (ABC Color (Paraguay), April 27, 2017).
La denominada Caravana de la muerte, fue la comitiva militar que recorrió el país tras el golpe de Estado de septiembre de 1973
- “Comunicado Sobre la Politica de Sustitucion de Cultivos de Uso Ilicito” (Several Colombian NGOs, Fundacion Ideas por la Paz (Colombia), April 27, 2017).
Análisis y recomendaciones sobre la forma en la cual se está avanzado en la implementación del acuerdo de paz sobre “solución al problema de las drogas ilícitas” y, en particular, sobre el plan de sustitución de cultivos
- Natalia Arenas, “El Asesinato del Miliciano Que Disparo las Alarmas Sobre Seguridad de las Farc” (La Silla Vacia (Colombia), April 27, 2017).
En menos de dos meses han sido asesinados un guerrillero indultado, un miliciano y cinco familiares de guerrilleros de las Farc que se han acogido al proceso de Paz
- Michael Weissenstein, , “Cuba Weathers Storm in Venezuela but Future Looks Uncertain” (Associated Press **, April 27, 2017).
A near-constant refrain is that Cubans can tolerate deep deprivation, but would not stand for a repeat of the Special Period
- Kirk Semple, “In Mexico, an Epidemic of Fuel Thefts Becomes a Crisis” (The New York Times, April 27, 2017).
The crime has become such a central part of life in this region of Puebla that it has been celebrated in song, much as drug traffickers and their exploits have been lionized in narcocorridos
- Jill Colvin, “White House: Trump Will Not Immediately Bolt Nafta” (Associated Press **, April 27, 2017).
The White House announcement came hours after administration officials said Trump was considering a draft executive order to withdraw the U.S. from the deal
- Jorge G. Castaneda, “The Cost of Trump’s Retreat From Rights” (The New York Times, April 27, 2017).
Under other circumstances, the United States could be a force for the rule of law, human rights and civilian control over the military in Mexico
Central America Regional, Mexico
- Roque Planas, “Inside the Immigrant-Prosecuting Machine That Transformed America’s Deportation Policy” (The Huffington Post, April 27, 2017).
“It’s going to break the bank in terms of paying for the jail and prison beds that these people are going to occupy if they are prosecuted”
- Nicholas Casey, “Venezuela Says It Will Leave Pro-Democracy Organization” (The New York Times, April 27, 2017).
In order to withdraw, the country would have to wait two years and pay a debt of $8.7 million under O.A.S. rules
- Nick Miroff, “Venezuela Says It Will Quit Organization of American States” (The Washington Post, April 27, 2017).
The move comes after OAS member states voted Wednesday to convene an emergency meeting of their top diplomats to discuss the worsening humanitarian crisis and deadly political violence
- Fabiola Sanchez , Christine Armario, “Venezuela Goes Through With Threat to Leave the Oas” (Associated Press **, April 27, 2017).
Withdrawing from the OAS is a two-year process, but Rodriguez said Venezuela would immediately stop participating