May 6, 2020
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Parker Asmann, Chris Dalby, Seth Robbins, “Six Ways Coronavirus Is Impacting Organized Crime in the Americas” (InsightCrime, May 6, 2020).
The global shutdown has allowed enterprising criminal minds to find opportunities: cybercrime, false contracts, the theft of medical equipment and more
- Steven Dudley, “Latin America’s Prison Gangs Draw Strength From the Pandemic” (Foreign Affairs, May 6, 2020).
As cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, continue to mount, the reforms may prove to be too little, too late
- Gaby del Valle, Jack Herrera, “Ice Detention Centers First Brought Jobs to the Rural South. Now, They’re Bringing Covid-19.” (Politico, May 6, 2020).
ICE only tests small numbers of people with serious symptoms, so “by the time you have about 10 confirmed cases in a detention center, you already have an outbreak,”
- Monique O. Madan, “Instead of Releasing Detainees, Ice Is Transferring Them to Other Detention Centers” (The Miami Herald, May 6, 2020).
The decision is a major defeat for national immigration advocates who had asked the judge last week to clarify her earlier order
- Trevor Sutton, Dan Restrepo, Joel Martinez, “Getting Ahead of the Curve: Why the United States Needs to Plan for the Coronavirus in the Americas” (Center for American Progress, May 6, 2020).
A worsened COVID-19 situation in the Americas would seriously impede U.S. efforts to suppress the spread of the virus at home and mitigate the economic fallout from the pandemic
- “Bolivia: Carlos Mesa se Suma al Mas para Pedir Elecciones” (La Jornada (Mexico), May 6, 2020).
Esta vez se trata del ex mandatario y candidato presidencial, Carlos Mesa, quien urgió este lunes al gobierno transitorio a promover un “acuerdo nacional” para definir la fecha de las próximas elecciones en medio de la emergencia por el Covid-19
- “Editorial: Por un Ejercito al Servicio de la Democracia en Colombia” (El Pais (Spain), May 6, 2020).
La investigación del escándalo de espionaje militar debe ser una oportunidad para revisar a fondo los procedimientos internos
- Juan David Lopez Morales, “‘Que Excombatientes No Sean Asesinados Es Garantia para las Victimas’” (El Tiempo (Colombia), May 6, 2020).
La Jurisdicción Especial para la Paz (JEP) decidió estudiar, de oficio, medidas cautelares de protección colectiva ante las amenazas y asesinatos de las que han sido víctimas los excombatientes de las Farc y antiguos miembros de la Fuerza Pública
- Roberto Valencia, “Bukele Ya Forzo una ‘Tregua Carcelaria’ Entre Pandillas en el Salvador. ¿Cuanto Durara?” (The Washington Post, May 6, 2020).
La MS-13 y las dos 18 que operan en El Salvador (la 18-Sureños y la 18-Revolucionarios) han acordado no atacarse en las cárceles
- Natalie Kitroeff, “Young Leader Vowed Change in el Salvador but Wields Same Heavy Hand” (The New York Times, May 6, 2020).
Elected as a transformative leader who would propel the country forward, Nayib Bukele is now reminding critics of the country’s past autocrats, with his reliance on the military
- Parker Asmann, “Yet More Accusations Against Honduras President, but Will They Matter?” (InsightCrime, May 6, 2020).
For the time being, Hernández is all but untouchable due to presidential immunity. The United States does not traditionally indict sitting or former heads of state
- Maria Verza, “Social Distancing Long Routine in Areas Run by Armed Groups” (Associated Press, Associated Press, May 6, 2020).
From the northern border to the western sierra to the Gulf Coast, hundreds of Mexican communities have been under curfew and quarantine for years
- “The Macutazo: Timeline of an Absurd Military Adventure” (Caracas Chronicles, May 6, 2020).
In the hope of understanding the news of failed armed incursions allegedly led by a former Green Beret, let’s put some events together to see them in the light of what we really know
- Joe Parkin Daniels, “Donald Trump Denies Link to Venezuela Armed Raid by Us Citizens” (The Guardian, May 6, 2020).
“Put a $15m reward on Nicolás Maduro like we are in the wild west and you can pretty much count on some people acting like cowboys”
- Giancarlo Fiorella, “The Invasion of Venezuela, Brought to You by Silvercorp Usa” (bellingcat, May 6, 2020).
Goudreau ended the interview by saying that there were more “cells” active in the country, that the operation was ongoing, and that he was in communication with people inside the country