July 7, 2020
- “Argentina – Stryker Infantry Carrier Vehicles” (Defense Security Cooperation Agency, July 7, 2020).
The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Argentina of twenty-seven (27) M1126 Stryker Infantry Carrier Vehicles and related equipment for an estimated cost of $100 million
- “Brazil President Due to Receive Coronavirus Test Results Tuesday” (Voice of America, July 7, 2020).
Bolsanaro has previously downplayed the risks posed by the coronavirus, once telling supporters because of his history of athleticism, he would not worry if he became infected
- Raphael Tsavkko Garcia, “Bolsonaro’s Social Media War With the Press Keeps Bleeding Into the Real World” (Slate, July 7, 2020).
The Brazilian president’s supporters are more than ready to turn his words into action
- Valerie Cortes, “Enganos y Bots, la Cruzada Digital en Contra de la Jep (I)” (El Espectador (Colombia), July 7, 2020).
Una campaña de desinformación a través de Twitter se viene desarrollando en contra de la Jurisdicción Especial para la Paz
- Gerardo Reyes, “Attorney for Alex Saab in Colombia Approved Deals With Corrupt Policeman Who Tipped Off Plan to Arrest His Client” (Univision, July 7, 2020).
Saab’s capture was thwarted in Colombia in 2018 after an attorney for the office of his lawyer, Abelardo de la Espriella, and an assistant to Saab, secretely received information about the imminent arrest
- Eduardo Guerrero GutiÉrrez, “La Violencia en Guanajuato: Mentiras, Negligencia e Ineptitud” (El Financiero (Mexico), July 7, 2020).
Cuando las peores expresiones de violencia criminal se instalan de forma sistemática en una entidad federativa, lo que suele haber es una profunda negligencia, y muy probablemente complicidad, de las autoridades estatales y municipales
- Ioan Grillo, “How Mexico’s Drug Cartels Are Profiting From the Pandemic” (The New York Times, July 7, 2020).
Lockdown exacerbated addiction in the U.S., while in Mexico, cartels dig into their turfs with charity and curfews, and put violent pressure on a vulnerable government
- Jennifer Jacobs, Eric Martin, “Trump to Host Mexican President, Ceos at White House Dinner” (Bloomberg, July 7, 2020).
The Wednesday night event will be the closest thing to a state dinner that can be organized during the Covid-19 outbreak
- “Nicaragua Ha Sido Victima del Terrorismo, Dice Delegado de Ortega” (Nicaragua Investiga, July 7, 2020).
El Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional, está en la mira como una estructura terrorista que quedó descubierta para el estallido social de 2018