May 26, 2017
- “New Ain Report: Lessons From Bolivia” (Andean Information Network (Bolivia), May 26, 2017).
In February 2017, a delegation of 8 coca growers from across Colombia traveled to Bolivia to learn about the country’s shift from forced eradication and conditioned alternative development to community coca control and integrated development
- “Public Opinion Forces Temer to Withdraw Troops From Streets of Brasilia” (MercoPress, May 26, 2017).
The deployment of soldiers shocked a capital already shaken by the day’s violence and an investigation into corruption allegations against the president
Central America Regional
- Hector Silva Avalos, “Trump Policies Undermine Fight Against ms13: Us Police” (InsightCrime, May 26, 2017).
The officials placed particular emphasis on the White House’s threat to cut federal funds for local law enforcement bodies should they refuse to support the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Ricardo L. Cruz, “La Amenaza ‘Gaitanista’, un Reto para la Seguridad Ciudadana” (Verdad Abierta (Colombia), May 26, 2017).
Para doblegar a los ‘gaitanistas’ se requiere entender mejor esta amenaza. Aspecto en el que, por el momento, hay más sombras que luces
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
- Alex Yablon, “American Guns Are Fueling the Immigration Crisis That Trump Wants to Fix With a Wall” (The Trace, May 26, 2017).
Tens of thousands of firearms smuggled from the United States help to fuel extreme rates of violence
- Andrew Katz, “State of Ruin: Tales From Venezuela’s Collapse” (Time, May 26, 2017).
Venezuelan photographers who have watched their society crumble reflect on the images that have moved them most
- Francisco Toro, “Venezuela’s Propaganda State Is Collapsing Under Its Own Weight” (The Washington Post, May 26, 2017).
What Venezuela needs now is many more Luisa Ortega Díazes. The attorney general did not switch sides. She merely signaled that, from now on, she will act impartially