June 13, 2017
- Uki Goñi, “Sins of the Father: Daughters of Men Who Killed for Argentina’s Regime Speak Out” (The Guardian (Uk), June 13, 2017).
Disturbed by growing denialism, women whose fathers committed heinous abuses urge other perpetrators to break their ‘pact of silence’ over their crimes
- Kyle Johnson, “Negociacion Con el Eln: Los Tiempos del Monte en la Mesa de Paz” (International Crisis Group, Razon Publica (Colombia), June 13, 2017).
Las partes mantienen su desconfianza y no se ha avanzado en los puntos más importantes. Pero hay caminos para salir del atolladero
- Tracy Wilkinson, “Trump Considers Reversing Historic Obama-Era Opening With Cuba” (The Los Angeles Times, June 13, 2017).
Turning its back on Cuba now would hamper Washington’s attempts to apply pressure on Caracas, diplomats said
- “New Poll: 6 in 10 Republicans Support Policies of Cuba Engagement” (Engage Cuba, June 13, 2017).
65% of American voters support maintaining Obama-era policy changes, while only 18% oppose
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
- “Central America Braces for Return of Us Military-Led Foreign Policy” (The Guardian (Uk), June 13, 2017).
Trump’s homeland security chief to lead meeting on region’s economic and security issues, as experts say aid cuts and deportations could fuel instability
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
- William R. Brownfield, John S. Creamer, “Previewing Secretary Tillerson’s Participation in the Conference on Prosperity and Security in Central America” (U.S. Department of State, June 13, 2017).
We have statistics that suggest that much of the product that is flowing through Central America today in trafficking routes makes a right turn and heads to Western Europe rather than proceeding north into North America
- Rafael Carranza, Daniel Gonzalez, “Why Migrant Crossings Plummeted at U.S.-Mexico Border” (The Arizona Republic, June 13, 2017).
One perception among would-be border crossers is that under Trump the United States has gotten much tougher on migrants who are caught
- Alejandro Hope, “Bienvenidos al Infierno” (El Universal (Mexico), June 13, 2017).
Cada una de estas regiones —Los Cabos, la Riviera Maya, Acapulco— cuenta una historia distinta. Pero comparten características comunes
- Ginger Thompson, “How the U.S. Triggered a Massacre in Mexico” (ProPublica, June 13, 2017).
The DEA took a gamble. It shared the intelligence with a Mexican federal police unit that has long had problems with leaks — even though its members had been trained and vetted by the DEA. Almost immediately, the Treviños learned they’d been betrayed
- David Adams, “Former Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli Arrested Monday in Miami” (Univision, June 13, 2017).
The billionaire supermarket magnate served as president of Panama from 2009 to 2014 was taken into custody as he was driving out of his home around 7:30 p.m. (EST) and is being held at the Federal Detention Center
- Pablo Stefanoni, “Venezuela: ¿por Que No «Bajan» de los Cerros?” (Nueva Sociedad, June 13, 2017).
Hoy, el foco en la condena hacia el Estado por su represión de la oposición –sin duda correcto en principio– luce en los barrios como privilegio de clase
- “Leopoldo Lopez Pide a Militares “Rebelarse” a las Ordenes de Actuar Contra Venezolanos” (EFE, SinEmbargo (Mexico), June 13, 2017).
“Ustedes también tienen el derecho y el deber de rebelarse, de rebelarse ante ordenes que buscan reprimir al pueblo venezolano”