June 27, 2017
- Peter Prengaman, Mauricio Savarese, “Brazil’s Crisis Deepens as President Accused of Corruption” (Associated Press **, June 27, 2017).
Even stalwart allies have begun to bail on Temer
- “United Nations Mission Receives the Balance of Individual Arms From the Farc-Ep in Accordance With the 29 May Road Map” (Mision de la ONU en Colombia, June 27, 2017).
As of today, the Mission has stored the totality of individual arms of the FARC-EP that were registered: 7132 arms
- “Se Agudiza Debate por Propuesta de Vicealcaldias Militares en Antioquia” (Verdad Abierta (Colombia), June 27, 2017).
Aunque la propuesta inicial contemplaba que las Vicealcaldías fueran dirigidas por oficiales activos de las Fuerzas Militares, al final se definió que serán coroneles en retiro del Ejército
- “¿Universitarios, Agitadores o Terroristas?” (El Espectador (Colombia), June 27, 2017).
En total fueron cinco hombres y cuatro mujeres aprehendidos luego de meses de investigación, pero que se aceleraron tras el ataque del pasado fin de semana en Bogotá
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
- J. Weston Phippen, “What Trump Doesn’t Understand About Ms-13” (The Atlantic, June 27, 2017).
If indeed there is a connection to immigration by unaccompanied minors, all that may have changed was MS-13 found more vulnerable youth to prey upon in a country where the leadership wants to hold them up not as refugees, but as potential criminals
- John Burnett, Merrit Kennedy, “Supreme Court Sends Cross-Border Shooting Case Back to Lower Court” (Morning Edition, National Public Radio, June 27, 2017).
Claiming he was the target of rock throwers, Mesa — who was standing on the U.S. side — pulled his handgun and shot 15-year-old Sergio Hernandez Guereca in the head as he peeked out from behind a concrete pillar
- “Lider de Guerreros Unidos Tiene un Hermano en el Ejercito; Sedena e Inai Reservan su Expediente” (Animal Politico (Mexico), June 27, 2017).
El INAI avaló que el Ejército mantenga en secreto el historial de servicio de Alfredo Casarrubias, hermano del presunto líder de Guerreros Unidos, Sidronio Casarrubias, señalado como autor intelectual del ataque contra los normalistas de Ayotzinapa
- Mark Stevenson, “Charred Body Identified as Missing Mexican Journalist” (Associated Press **, June 27, 2017).
Salvador Adame was director of local cable Channel 6 TV. Armed men grabbed him on May 18 and forced him into a vehicle in the city of Nueva Italia in violence-plagued Michoacan state
- Lizzie Wade, “Mapping Mexico’s Hidden Graves” (Science, June 27, 2017).
In addition to 43 municipalities with hidden graves publicly reported in 2016—mostly in the states of Veracruz and Guerrero—the model identified 45 other municipalities as having a 70% or higher chance of containing unreported graves