July 18, 2017
- Jeremy Mcdermott, “Record Cocaine Production in Colombia Fuels New Criminal Generation” (InsightCrime, July 18, 2017).
It is not booby traps and snipers that are now blocking eradication efforts, but angry woman and children preventing the eradicators from working. This has proven to be extraordinarily effective
- Nicholas Casey, “After Decades of War, Colombian Farmers Face a New Test: Peace” (The New York Times, July 18, 2017).
The rebels now appear in civilian clothes alongside government officials, selling farmers on crops like black pepper and heart of palm
- Jose Miguel Vivanco, “Colombia: Amicus Curiae Regarding the Special Jurisdiction for Peace” (Human Rights Watch, July 18, 2017).
Two key flaws were included in Constitutional Amendment 1 of 2017: (1) an overly broad provision on political participation for FARC guerrillas; and (2) an indefensibly rigid definition of “command responsibility”
- Jefferson Montano Palacio, “Hector Mina, Otro Asesinato en la Impunidad” (El Espectador (Colombia), July 18, 2017).
El último homicidio fue en el norte del Cauca, mientras el líder desayunaba con sus compañeros de Marcha Patriótica. ¿Quién era Héctor Mina?
- Eduardo Alvarez Vanegas, Maria Victoria Llorente, Andres Cajiao, Juan Carlos Garzon v., “Crimen Organizado y Saboteadores Armados en Tiempos de Transicio?N: Radiografia Necesaria” (Fundacion Ideas por la Paz (Colombia), July 18, 2017).
Esta radiografía nos permite visibilizar las enormes diferencias entre grupos y su presencia en los territorios, así como su fragmentación
Colombia, Cuba, Venezuela
- John Paul Rathbone, “Cuba Courted in Diplomatic Push on Venezuela Crisis” (The Financial Times (UK), July 18, 2017).
Havana could usefully offer safe haven exile for Mr Maduro’s senior officials who, with a bolt hole to flee to, would no longer need to fight to the last
- Mac Margolis, “Ecuador’s Succession Politics Get Ugly” (Bloomberg, July 18, 2017).
Correa called his successor “disloyal” and “mediocre,” and warned of the danger of “crossing red lines.” On Twitter Moreno parried that “we continue committed to reconcile the country”
- Jo-Marie Burt, Paulo Estrada, “Court to Rule on Appeal of Historic Sepur Zarco Sexual Violence Verdict” (Open Society Foundations, July 18, 2017).
The hearing on July 19 is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Guatemala time. It will be an important barometer of the status of grave crimes cases in Guatemala
- Jean Guerrero, “U.S.-Mexico Drug Tunnels Evolving Amid Increased Border Security” (KPBS, KQED News, July 18, 2017).
The creativity of the tunnels is consistent with Mexican drug cartels’ way of overcoming the border fence above-ground
- Francisco Toro, “The Government Didn’t Want Them to Vote — So Venezuelans Set Up Their Own Election” (The Washington Post, July 18, 2017).
If fewer than 7.2 million people turn out to elect the government’s Constitutional Assembly on July 30, the body’s lack of legitimacy will be obvious from day one
- Kejal Vyas, Anatoly Kurmanaev, “Venezuela’s Opposition Plans Parallel Government” (The Wall Street Journal, July 18, 2017).
The opposition’s new strategy came as the Trump administration said it would impose “swift economic actions” if Mr. Maduro goes ahead with a planned election on July 30