July 19, 2017
- Mauricio Santoro, “Rio de Janeiro’s Party Is Over. Who Pays the Bill?” (Americas Quarterly, July 19, 2017).
Faced with unpaid salaries, shuttered schools and failing hospitals, not even the sight of former Governor Sérgio Cabral in prison is enough to lift the mood
- “Informe No 2: Como Va la Paz” (Fundación Paz y Reconciliación (Colombia), July 19, 2017).
Las estructuras de las FARC operaron en 242 municipios, se esperaba que estos espacios fueran ocupados por la institucionalidad estatal, sin embargo, hacia estos territorios se han estado desplazando otras estructuras ilegales
- Sergio Gomez Maseri, , “Si Cultivos Ilicitos No se Reducen, Ee. Uu. Congelaria Ayuda” (El Tiempo (Colombia), July 19, 2017).
Se podrían perder el 30 por ciento del apoyo económico, que equivale a 82,8 millones de dólares
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
- Sarah Kinosian, “Why the Ms-13 Is Not an Immigration Problem” (Washington Office on Latin America, July 19, 2017).
Here are seven facts about the MS-13 that are crucial to understanding the threat the group poses, followed by recommendations for how to best address the problem
- David Agren, “Mexico Leaders’ Pledges Fall Short as Graft Remains ‘Heart of the Political System’” (The Guardian (Uk), July 19, 2017).
In the year since President Enrique Peña Nieto signed an anti-corruption system into law, the government and its allies have undermined it, activists say
- Ioan Grillo, “The Paradox of Mexico’s Mass Graves” (The New York Times, July 19, 2017).
The conflict is neither just crime nor civil war, but a new hybrid type of organized violence. We will never understand its nature until Mexico truly investigates how these mass graves came about
- Laurence Blair, “Survivors of a Massacre in Paraguay Looking for Justice, Five Years Later” (Americas Quarterly, July 19, 2017).
The events at Marina Cué and their aftermath, in short, proved to be a watershed moment in Paraguay’s recent history. Yet the families of the victims and campaigners now hope to overturn the controversial ruling
- Geoff Ramsey, John Walsh, “In a Historic Step, Non-Medical Cannabis Sales to Begin in Uruguay” (Washington Office on Latin America, July 19, 2017).
In order for the law to fulfill its potential in promoting public health and reducing the black market, robust and independent scientific evaluation will be essential
- Ernesto LondoÑo, “Uruguay’s Marijuana Law Turns Pharmacists Into Dealers” (The New York Times, July 19, 2017).
They developed an onerous registration process and ruled out marketing the country as a mecca for pot tourism
- “Parlamento Venezolano Pide a ff.aa. No Colaborar Con Eleccion de Constituyente” (EFE, ABC Color (Paraguay), July 19, 2017).
“Todos los funcionarios e integrantes de la Fuerza Armada están obligados a no colaborar con el Poder Electoral en la materialización del fraudulento proceso constituyente por el cual se pretende derogar por la vía de los hechos la Constitución de 1999”
- Ian Talley, Kejal Vyas, “U.S. Prepared to Sanction Venezuela, Including Possible Ban on Oil Imports” (The Wall Street Journal, July 19, 2017).
“We can promise that whatever actions we choose to take after July 30th will be strong, swift and deliberate,” the official said