Here’s a podcast recorded yesterday with Kathryn Ledebur, a longtime Bolivia expert and colleague who directs the Andean Information Network in Cochabamba, Bolivia. We discuss:
- The election process and the events leading up to Morales’s resignation.
- The disorder and violence following the election, and missed opportunities to achieve an institutional solution to the crisis.
- The role of the military and police.
- The political opposition, which appears to be headed rapidly in an extreme direction.
- The mistakes made by, and future of, Morales’s long-ruling MAS party.
- The likelihood that Bolivia might be able to hold truly free and fair elections, with a level playing field.
- What daily life is like in a place like Cochabamba right now.