- Vice Admiral Craig S. Faller, Advance Questions for Vice Admiral Craig S. Faller, USN Nominee for Commander, United States Southern Command (Washington: Senate Armed Services Committee, September 25, 2018).
Written answers to questions submitted by the Senate Armed Services Committee to the nominee to head Southern Command.
- CBP Has Not Ensured Safeguards for Data Collected Using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Washington: Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General, September 21, 2018).
Customs and Border Protection’s drone program, which performs surveillance over U.S. soil, is not sufficiently considering privacy or data security shortcomings.
- Memorandum of Justification for Major Illicit Drug Transit or Producing Countries for Fiscal Year 2019 (Washington: The White House, September 11, 2018).
An explanatory memo accompanying the President’s annual determination of which countries are “decertified” for failure to cooperate with counterdrug efforts—in this case, Bolivia and Venezuela.
- Assaults on CBP and ICE Law Enforcement Officers (Washington: Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General, September 7, 2018).
The DHS Inspector General “determined that, from fiscal years 2010 to 2017, the number of assaults against CBP law enforcement officers decreased from 1,089 to 856.”
- Brian M. Mazanec, Reported Injuries to U.S. Personnel in Cuba: Preliminary Observations on State’s Response and Management Challenges (Washington: U.S. Government Accountability Office, September 6, 2018).
Testimony about the State Department’s response to incidents that appear to have been attacks on U.S. diplomatic personnel in Cuba.
- Central American Police Training: State and USAID Should Ensure Human Rights Content Is Included as Appropriate, and State Should Improve Data (Washington: U.S. Government Accountability Office, September 5, 2018).
A look at State Department, Defense Department, and USAID police training programs in Central America reveals concerns about how human rights information is incorporated.