August 20, 2018
Western Hemisphere Regional
- Richard Parker, “Forget ICE, the Real Problem Is CBP” (The Los Angeles Times, August 20, 2018).
CBP is a paramilitary organization that has grown too large, too quickly with too little oversight
- Aurelio Tomas, “Macri Desplego al Ejercito para Combatir el Crimen en el Norte” (Perfil (Argentina), August 20, 2018).
El acto, realizado en la localidad de Huacalera, Jujuy, ofició como inicio formal del operativo Fronteras Protegidas y fue una oportunidad para que el mandatario exhiba la nueva doctrina de seguridad
- “Military Intervention in Rio to End in December” (Associated Press, The Washington Post, August 20, 2018).
The measure put thousands of soldiers in the streets and increased operations against drug-trafficking gangs that largely operate in poor areas. But some say it has not helped to address underlying issues
Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela
- Amir Vera, Ana Maria Canizares, Marilia Brocchetto, Rafael Romo, Susannah Cullinane, “Neighboring South American Countries Stiffen Borders as Chaos in Venezuela Triggers Exodus” (CNN, August 20, 2018).
Thousands of Venezuelans fleeing the economic and humanitarian crisis roiling their homeland are facing increasing hostility from their South American neighbors
- Manuela Andreoni, “Residents of Brazil Border Town Attack Camps for Venezuelan Migrants” (The New York Times, August 20, 2018).
At one point, some protesters, with bullhorns in hand, began chanting against Venezuelans, and a peaceful protest devolved into an impromptu assault on the migrants’ dwellings
- Juan Forero, Kejal Vyas, “Colombia Tests Drones to Destroy Coca Plants Used for Cocaine” (The Wall Street Journal, August 20, 2018).
Seven or eight of the crop dusters that had worked the coca fields here remain in Colombia. In a few months, U.S. officials say, they could become operational again
- Ariel Ávila, LeÓn Valencia, “Grupos Posfarc y la Posible Reactivacion de la Guerra” (Fundación Paz y Reconciliación (Colombia), El Espectador (Colombia), August 20, 2018).
Desde hace dos semanas no aparecen cuatro exmandos importantes de las Farc: Iván Márquez, El Paisa, Romaña y el Zarco
- “Editorial: Hay Que Defender la Justicia Transicional” (El Espectador (Colombia), August 20, 2018).
La bancada del Centro Democrático propone hacer trizas todo el Sistema Integral de Verdad, Justicia, Reparación y No Repetición. La posición presidencial al respecto no es clara
- Courtney Kube, “Special Forces Soldier Charged With Smuggling Colombian Cocaine” (NBC News, August 20, 2018).
Army Master Sgt. Daniel Gould, assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group, was arrested after Drug Enforcement Administration agents found 40 kilograms of cocaine in two backpacks on a military airplane in Colombia
Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela
- Tom Phillips, “Fleeing Venezuelans Face Suspicion and Hostility as Migration Crisis Worsens” (The Guardian (Uk), August 20, 2018).
The exodus appears to have accelerated in recent weeks with almost 43,000 Venezuelans streaming into Tulcán over Rumichaca Bridge in the first 14 days of August alone
- Laura Soto, “La Crisis de los Venezolanos Migrantes Llega a la Frontera Con Ecuador” (La Silla Vacia (Colombia), August 20, 2018).
Es como si todos los habitantes de Pasto, la capital nariñense, se hubieran ido en lo que va del año
- “Us to Send Hospital Ship to Colombia Amid Refugee Crisis” (Associated Press **, August 20, 2018).
Mattis would not say when the USNS Comfort would arrive off the coast of Colombia, but it apparently will not be in the next few weeks. Dana W. White, the chief Pentagon spokeswoman, said it would be “in the fall”
- Franco Ordonez, “Trump Administration Detains Cuban Reporter Who Says He’s Accused of Being U.S. Agent” (McClatchy DC, August 20, 2018).
Morán’s case reflects the challenges Cubans now face seeking refuge in the United States. Less than two years ago, Moran simply could have arrived at the border and he would have been welcomed
Dominican Republic, Haiti
- “Tiroteo Deja Varios Heridos en Frontera Entre Republica Dominicana y Haiti” (Associated Press, El Heraldo (Honduras), August 20, 2018).
El incidente ocurrió el sábado, cuando presuntamente militares dominicanos trataron de impedir el paso de un cargamento de cemento de contrabando desde República Dominicana a Haití
- John Vidal, “How Guatemala Is Sliding Into Chaos in the Fight for Land and Water” (The Guardian (Uk), August 20, 2018).
The killings have probably been orchestrated by more powerful political and financial interests, with links to the drug trade and the military
- Adam Liptak, “Two U.S. Agents Fired Into Mexico, Killing Teenagers. Only One Faces a Lawsuit.” (The New York Times, August 20, 2018).
It cannot be, Judge Milan D. Smith Jr. wrote, that guards standing on American soil in Arizona may be sued for cross-border killings but that ones standing in Texas cannot
- Amy Guthrie, “Mexican Poppy Producing State Pushes to Decriminalize Opium” (Associated Press, The Washington Post, August 20, 2018).
Guerrero state legislator Ricardo Mejia said an estimated 120,000 people cultivate poppy in poor, isolated communities across the state. A legal channel to sell sticky poppy sap could offer growers more stable incomes, he argues
- Ricardo León, “Tension en el Mayor Valle Cocalero: Inflacion en el Vraem” (El Comercio (Peru), August 20, 2018).
En los circuitos del traslado de insumos químicos y en los puntos de transporte de la droga, la hoja alcanzó el precio más alto de estos últimos años
- Anthony Faiola, Rachelle Krygier, “Maduro Has a Plan to Fix Venezuela’s Inflation — Which May Make Things Worse” (The Washington Post, August 20, 2018).
The measures, they say, can only be superficial as long as the central bank continues to print money to cover government spending
- Diego Scharifker, “Venezuela’s Detention of an Opposition Lawmaker Is Chilling. The World Must Act.” (The Washington Post, August 20, 2018).
Considering previous reports of torture and other crimes against humanity documented by the OAS, one can only imagine the type of treatment that Requesens is receiving