July 6, 2017
- Juan Carlos Garzon v., Jose Luis Bernal, “¿en Que Va la Sustitucion de Cultivos Ilicitos?” (Fundacion Ideas por la Paz (Colombia), July 6, 2017).
Si el PNIS no funciona, el costo será muy alto no solo en recursos económicos sino en la relación del Estado con las comunidades
- “Lo Que Hubo Detras del Secuestro del Funcionario de la Onu en Guaviare” (Verdad Abierta (Colombia), July 6, 2017).
Si bien la atención se ha concentrado en la liberación del funcionario de la ONU, no es la única vez en la que la población civil ha quedado en medio del conflicto
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico
- Christopher Sherman, “More Families Fleeing Central America Resettling in Mexico” (Associated Press **, July 6, 2017).
After Mexico received 3,424 applications for refugee status in 2015, that rose to 8,794 the following year and applications are already outpacing that this year with 5,464 just from January to May
- Nina Lakhani, “Daughter of Murdered Honduran Activist Survives Armed Attack” (The Guardian (Uk), July 6, 2017).
Assault on daughter of environmentalist Berta Cáceres, who leads indigenous rights group, heightens fears of violence against campaigners in Honduras
- Robbie Whelan, “11,155 Dead: Mexico’s Violent Drug War Is Roaring Back” (The Wall Street Journal, July 6, 2017).
President Peña Nieto wanted to ‘change the narrative’ of the fight against traffickers. It didn’t work
- “At Least 14 Reported Dead in Gunbattle Between Mexican Gangs” (Associated Press **, July 6, 2017).
Felix Gonzalez, a spokesman for Chihuahua state prosecutors, told local media the initial confrontation pitted members the La Linea gang, based in the border city of Ciudad Juarez, against a faction of the Sinaloa cartel
- Noel Randewich, “Mexico Says Trump-Pena Nieto Meet Unlikely to Lead to Big Deals” (Reuters **, July 6, 2017).
A meeting between Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto and U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday at the G20 summit in Germany will last about 30 minutes and probably not lead to any major agreements
- Tim Rogers, “Authoritarianism Is Not a Good Look, but Ortega Wears It Better Than Trump” (The Boston Globe, July 6, 2017).
Nicaragua taught me that hard-fought democratic gains can get rolled back overnight, and that political rights can be erased with a single pen-stroke
- Alberto Vergara, “Peru Ante el Indulto de su Dictador” (The New York Times, July 6, 2017).
Yo no lo creo. El gobierno de PPK carece de norte. Su horizonte político es el focus group de ayer
- Joshua Goodman, “Govt Supporters Storm Venezuela Congress, Injuring Lawmakers” (Associated Press **, July 6, 2017).
The brazen attack on one of the symbols of Venezuela’s already limping democracy drew widespread international rebuke
- Mariana Zuniga, Nick Miroff, “Government Supporters Attack Venezuelan Congress, Injure Opposition Lawmakers” (The Washington Post, July 6, 2017).
Venezuelan lawmakers who oppose President Nicolás Maduro were beaten and bloodied in the halls of congress Wednesday as a pro-government mob stormed the building
- Silene Ramirez, Carlos Garcia Rawlins, “Venezuelan Lawmakers Beaten, Besieged in Latest Violence” (Reuters **, July 6, 2017).
The melee, which injured seven opposition politicians, was another worrying flashpoint in a traumatic last three months